India seeks to popularise beach volleyballJuly 21st, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, July 21 (ANI): In a bid to popularize beach volleyball, Tamil Nadu capital Chennai played host to India’’s first ever-International Beach Volleyball Championship from July 15 to 20.
Brazil won the title in the men’’s section while the eves from Thailand were crowned the winners in women’’s event.
Klepper Feitosa and Luizao Correa of Brazil and Jarunee Sannok and Usa Tenpaksee from Thailand were crowned the winners.
The championship, which was organized by the Beach Volleyball Club, was held at the world famous Marina Beach in Chennai. It was sponsored by the public sector Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited.
Eleven Indian teams, including four women teams, competed in a strong field of 60 teams from 21 countries.
”It is very good. We have been winners for the first time and it is for the first time that we have come here,” said Sannok, Thailand team member.
The six day long tournament offered a total prize money of 40,000 US dollars in the men’’s section and 6400 US dollars in the women’’s event.
“We are happy. We are first time in Chennai, India. This tournament is very important for us because this is second tournament together. We have to go back to Brazil because we have a tournament. This tournament is very different because the temperament, the people everything is different,” said Luizao, the Men’’s Champion in the tournament.
The President of Volleyball Federation, Sivanthi Adityan and Minister of State for Housing Development, Suba Thankavelan gave the awards to the winners. (ANI)
- Sahara India to sponsor Indian volleyball - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian basketball teams announced for Asian Beach Games - Jun 15, 2012
- Bernardinho to lead Brazil men's volleyball team until Rio 2016 - Aug 15, 2012
- Australia beat China to qualify for Olympic volleyball - Jun 10, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Brazilian volleyballers take subway to reach venue - Jul 29, 2012
- 'Russia can win Olympic volleyball' - May 29, 2012
- Injuries to spikers hurt China's Olympics medal hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian men and women finish 27th at World TT - Apr 01, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Germany beats Brazil for its maiden gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Brazil stunned, US unscarred - Aug 02, 2012
- Railways favourites for national basketball titles - Dec 15, 2011
- Delhi to host men's Champions Trophy and Olympic qualifiers - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan's volleyball team gets visa clearance from India - Sep 15, 2010
- FIH announces team entries for final Olympic qualifier - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: beach volleyball, bharat sanchar, correa, feitosa, four women, housing development, jarunee sannok, luizao, marina beach, minister of state, prize money, public sector, suba, team member, thailand team, time in chennai, time in chennai india, volleyball championship, volleyball club, volleyball federation