India responds to Pakistan, says enough evidence to take action (Lead)

March 13th, 2009 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) India Friday handed over to Pakistan answers to 30 questions they had posed in connection with Mumbai’s “horrific terror attacks” and underlined that these replies provided “enough material” for Islamabad to take the investigation forward and punish the guilty.
Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon met Pakistan’s High Commissioner Shahid Malik and formally handed over India’s replies to Pakistan’s questions over the Mumbai attacks, official sources said.

Home Minister P. Chidamabaram underlined that New Delhi’s answers were “comprehensive” and were supported by documentary evidence that included copies of CD and forensic analysis reports of the accused.

“It answers every question. Answers have been supported by documentary evidence,” Chidamabaram told reporters.

“Anybody who is serious about investigating the origins of the Mumbai attacks will find that there is enough material to take the investigation forward,” Chidamabaram said.

“If Pakistan is serious about investigating these horrific crimes committed in Mumbai, these answers provide a solid basis,” Chidamabaram stressed.

“We expect Pakistan to take the investigation forward, apprehend all the cuplrits and either hand them to Indian over to India for prosecution and punishment or to punish and prosecute them in Pakistan,” he said.

The answers, according to the sources, include details of fingerprints of gunmen, their intercepted phone conversations with their handlers and the DNA of lone surviving terrorist Ajmal Kasab and nine other Pakistani terrorists killed by Indian security forces in November last year.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |