India ranked far less corrupt country than Pak by Transparency InternationalOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
Berlin, Oct 26 (ANI): The 2010 Corruption Perceptions Index by Transparency International has awarded the most clean slot to Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore with a score of 9.3, while Somalia has been declared the most corrupt country with a score of 1.1 on a scale from 10 (highly clean) to 0 (highly corrupt).
Scoring 3.3, India stands at the 87th position, while its neighbour Pakistan has got the 143th rank with a score of 2.3.
Notable among those who have declined over the past year are some of the countries most affected by a financial crisis precipitated by transparency and integrity deficits, says the TI report.
Myanmar and Afghanistan, both having scored 1.4, have got the second last position, and Iraq at 1.5 is the third most corrupt country.
The Index shows that nearly three quarters of the 178 countries in the index score below five, indicating a serious corruption problem.
Among those improving in the past year, the general absence of OECD states underlines the fact that all nations need to bolster their good governance mechanisms, the report said.
“The message is clear: across the globe, transparency and accountability are critical to restoring trust and turning back the tide of corruption. Without them, global policy solutions to many global crises are at risk,” added the TI report. (ANI)
- Malik's one-week deadline to fight corruption like terrorism in Pak - Nov 01, 2010
- Russian firms most likely to bribe: Global survey - Nov 03, 2011
- Gilani orders enquiry into Pakistan's poor show in international corruption index - Nov 18, 2009
- Zero tolerance for graft: Patil - Sep 28, 2011
- Pakistan moves up in global corruption index, ranks 42 - Nov 17, 2009
- 'India an example of bad governance' - May 04, 2010
- Pakistan should learn from Bangladesh to tackle graft, says daily - Oct 28, 2010
- India among most corrupt countries, says Advani - Jan 30, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Tax havens under pressure to share black money secrets: OECD official - Jun 15, 2011
- Pak govt probing Transparency International's operations in country - Nov 21, 2010
- Corrupt practices account for bulk of quake deaths - Jan 13, 2011
- India more corrupt over the last three years - Dec 10, 2010
- India slips in global peace index to 129th position - Jun 08, 2010
- Corruption index: India scores low on integrity (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: accountability, corrupt country, corruption perceptions index, corruption problem, financial crisis, global crises, global policy, globe transparency, good governance, governance mechanisms, index score, integrity, myanmar, neighbour, oecd, perceptions, policy solutions, somalia, three quarters, transparency international