India playing a “critical and constructive” role in Afghanistan: USJuly 2nd, 2010 - 12:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 2 (ANI): Rejecting Pakistan’s concerns over India’s ‘greater’ role in Afghanistan, the United States has said that New Delhi was playing a “critical and constructive” role in the war torn country.
Addressing the Asia society here, US undersecretary of defence for policy Michele Flournoy said the Obama administration considers India as a key player in securing a successful future for Afghanistan.
“We highly value India’s role and, frankly, the sacrifices that India has made in support of this mission in building economic and social opportunities in Afghanistan,” Flournoy said.
“We see India’s continued involvement in Afghanistan’s development as a key part of that country’s future success,” she added.
Flournoy, however, added that the US backs Pakistan’s efforts to ease tension both with India and Afghanistan, and that the White House would continue to help the three countries to establish peace and stability in the region.
“They all have a stake in the stability of the region and we have strategic partnerships with all three countries,” the top US official said.
“One of the things we continue to try to press is our belief that that common stake in regional security can actually bring them to a place of cooperation that they have not experienced before. But it’s not going to be easy,” The News quoted Flournoy, as saying. (ANI)
- US backs India's involvement in Afghanistan - Jul 02, 2010
- Closer ties with India, China no threat to either: US - Jul 02, 2010
- India, China rise makes Asia important: US - Jan 31, 2012
- Best way to end Pakistan's support for terrorist groups is to win Afghan war: McCain - Mar 16, 2011
- Obama to visit Pakistan only in 2011 - Oct 21, 2010
- India gets positive vibes to its concerns ahead of Obama visit (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- US keen on Pak-India talks to end tensions in South Asia - Feb 18, 2010
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- US 'objective': Deny terrorists safe havens in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2010
- Pentagon pitches for $10 bn Indian fighter jet deal - Jul 02, 2010
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- Democrats to continue long-term strategic partnership with India - Sep 05, 2012
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, asia society, belief that, constructive role, cooperation, michele flournoy, New Delhi, pakistan, peace and stability, regional security, sacrifices, social opportunities, stake, strategic partnerships, tension, undersecretary, value india, white house