India-Pakistan talks: Day 1 ends on positive noteMarch 28th, 2011 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) India and Pakistan Monday ended Day 1 of talks between their home secretaries on a positive note after discussing key issues including counter-terrorism, tough visa rules and enhancing people-to-people contacts.
Home Secretary G.K. Pillai met his Pakistani counterpart Chaudhary Qamar Zaman — a first step towards advancing the re-initiated peace process stalled after the Mumbai terror attack of 2008 by Pakistani terrorists.
“The talks were positive and things are moving in the right direction. We will update the media Tuesday,” Pillai told reporters, after the first round of talks ended at a luxury hotel in the heart of the capital.
The two sides will conclude the talks Tuesday.
Zaman, leading a 12-member delegation from Pakistan, also sounded positive. “Since we have another day to still follow through, I am not going into the specifics at the moment.
“But I can tell you with good amount of certainty that its been a very positive attitude displayed on both sides, and I am really confident about tomorrow’s proceedings also,” he added.
He said many issues were yet to be discussed. “It has been generally moving in good spirit and it has been a result-oriented meeting.”
Zaman is visiting Agra Wednesday - the day when India and Pakistan will play the cricket World Cup semi-final in Mohali.
The match is likely to be jointly watched by the two prime ministers, Manmohan Singh and Yousuf Raza Gilani.
- India, Pakistan 'positive' after discussing 26/11, terror (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2011
- Pakistan to allow India to question 26/11 suspects - Mar 29, 2011
- India-Pakistan talks agenda: 26/11, counter-terror - Mar 27, 2011
- Chidambaram optimistic about India-Pakistan meet - Apr 30, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss 26/11, terror (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Indo-Pak Home Secys meet: Talks positive, progress in right direction, says Pillai - Mar 28, 2011
- India, Pakistan home secretary talks begin - Mar 28, 2011
- India, Pakistan to set up terror hotline (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- `Indo-Pak cricket: Emotions high, passions rising' - Mar 29, 2011
- Ahead of Mohali, India and Pakistan agree to promote peace (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2011
- Indian official arrives in Pakistan for trade talks - Apr 26, 2011
- Pakistan interior secretary in India for talks (Lead) - Mar 27, 2011
- US applauds India-Pakistan talks - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan ready to discuss all issues with India: Qamar Zaman - Mar 27, 2011
- China welcomes India-Pakistan dialogue - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: counter terrorism, cricket world cup, gilani, good spirit, home secretary, india and pakistan, india pakistan, manmohan, manmohan singh, member delegation, moving in the right direction, pakistan talks, pakistani terrorists, peace process, pillai, positive attitude, qamar, terror attack, visa rules, yousuf