India, Pakistan likely to sign visa pact SaturdaySeptember 7th, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 7 (IANS) The much-awaited visa agreement between India and Pakistan could be signed Saturday, Indian sources said here Friday.
The visa agreement could be a game changer for people-to-people contact between the two neighbours as visa rules for specified categories could be eased by both sides.
“The agreement is likely to be signed tomorrow (Saturday),” an Indian external affairs ministry source said here.
Though India had said earlier that it was ready to sign the visa pact, Pakistan had to clear some formalities on its part.
The new visa policy will have eight categories.
“The types include diplomatic, non-diplomatic, 36 hour transit visit, tourist visas, civil society, media and business visas,” Pakistan daily The News reported on its website, quoting Pakistan foreign office sources at the end of the two-hour long meeting between the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan here Friday.
“The tourist visa will be limited to five destinations and will be valid for a period of six months, while the diplomatic visa category will offer visas to the consular, the consular mission and their family members,” the daily said.
The two foreign secretaries, India’s Ranjan Mathai and Pakistan’s Jalil Abbas Jilani, met here Friday before the minister-level talks between Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his Pakistan counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar Saturday.
Krishna arrived here Friday on a three-day visit to Pakistan.
He will also visit Lahore Sunday before flying back home.
- Visa pact to be signed Saturday, will benefit common people: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India, Pakistan top diplomats to meet June 29, visa accord soon (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan media gives a thumbs up to Krishna's visit (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Terrorism, trade, visas to top India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Terrorism to dominate Krishna, Khar talks - Sep 06, 2012
- Krishna-Khar talks: Terror, 26/11 India's 'core concerns' (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks June 29 - Jun 06, 2012
- Stable Pakistan in everyone's interest: Krishna (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 26/11 ghosts cast shadow on India-Pakistan talks - Jul 02, 2012
- Krishna to visit Pakistan in September - Jul 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan acknowledge 'more needs to be done' - Sep 07, 2012
- India disappointed as visa accord with Pakistan put off - May 25, 2012
- Krishna in Pakistan, will share concerns on terror - Sep 07, 2012
- India asks Pakistan not to be selective on terror (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India, Pakistan defer signing of visa pact, discuss 26/11 (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
Tags: business visas, consular mission, diplomatic visa, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian sources, jilani, khar, mathai, minister level, ministry source, rabbani, ranjan, tourist visa, tourist visas, visa category, visa policy, visa rules