India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks June 29June 6th, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 6 (IANS) Foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan will hold talks in New Delhi June 29, setting the stage for the crucial visit of External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to Islamabad mid-July.
“I will be coming to New Delhi for the foreign secretary-level talks June 29,” Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani told IANS here.
Ahead of the foreign secretary-level talks, India and Pakistan will hold talks on the disputed Siachen glacier June 11-12 and the Sir Creek water body in the Rann of Kutch marshlands June 17-18 which will complete the revived dialogue process that started last year.
Striking an upbeat note on the future of the revived dialogue process, Jilani downplayed the delay in signing the visa agreement last month, saying the text has been initialed and is only waiting for signatures at the political level.
“There are no issues with the visa agreement. It’s just that we thought it should be signed at the political level,” Jilani replied when asked whether there were any issues holding up the much-awaited visa pact that is expected to be a major step in boosting travel and people-to-people contacts between India and Pakistan.
Jilani is here as part of the Pakistani delegation which is accompanying President Asif Ali Zardari to Beijing for the summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.
(Manish Chand can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India, Pakistan top diplomats to meet June 29, visa accord soon (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- India keeps watch, says change in Pakistan won't affect ties (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- 26/11 ghosts cast shadow on India-Pakistan talks - Jul 02, 2012
- India, Pakistan to resume defence talks after four years - May 25, 2011
- India, Pakistan begin talks on Sir Creek dispute - Jun 18, 2012
- India, Pakistan fail to make headway on Sir Creek (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss Sir Creek; no headway - Jun 19, 2012
- Ahead of talks, Pakistan's new envoy arrives in India - Jun 21, 2012
- India asks Pakistan not to be selective on terror (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Change in Pakistan won't affect talks: India - Jun 20, 2012
- Separatists push Pakistan on Kashmir, divided on dialogue (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- No delay in liberlising visa regime: Pakistani envoy - Jun 05, 2012
- Krishna's Pakistan visit deferred, secretary-level talks next week (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Terrorism, trade, visas to top India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Terrorism to dominate Krishna, Khar talks - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: abbas, asif ali zardari, chand, creek water, external affairs minister, india and pakistan, india pakistan, islamabad, jilani, krishna, manish, marshlands, New Delhi, rann, secretaries, shanghai cooperation organisation, siachen glacier, sir creek, upbeat note, water body