India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for KashmirJuly 19th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) India and Pakistan Thursday considered introducing additional confidence building measures (CBMs) across the line of control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir, including pilgrimage, bank facilities for bilateral trade and six-month multiple entry permits for people-to-people contact.
These issues came up for discussion for the biannual cross-LOC CBMs working group that met in Islamabad.
The meeting took place in pursuance of the decision taken at the foreign secretary level talks here on July 4 and 5 this year, when Pakistan Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jeelani met his Indian counterpart Ranjan Mathai, in preparation for foreign minister-level talks later this year.
A joint statement issued on the occasion said that Thursday’s meeting was held in “a cordial and constructive” atmosphere.
“The two sides reviewed the progress since the last meeting of the joint working group on cross-LoC CBMs and discussed modalities for strengthening and streamlining the existing trade and travel arrangements across the LoC. They also discussed modalities for introducing additional cross-LoC CBMs,” the statement said.
The Pakistan delegation was headed by its foreign affair ministry’s Director General (South Asia) Zehra Akbari and the Indian side was led by its external affairs ministry Joint Secretary (Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran) Y.K. Sinha.
These talks come ahead of a visit by India’s External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna scheduled in September this year.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Pakistan talks on CBMs Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- Remove heavy guns from LoC: Pakistan proposes to India - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan to renew n-accidents pact - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan to review CBMs Monday - Dec 24, 2011
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: Ashraf (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: PM - Jul 06, 2012
- India pushes for 26/11 CBM, Pakistan rejects state role (Evening Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistan rejects accusations on 26/11 (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: akbari, asian news, bilateral trade, cbms, confidence building, constructive atmosphere, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, Foreign Affair, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian counterpart, jammu, joint working group, mathai, minister level, modalities, ncb, South Asia, zehra