India, Pak should build on the dialogue to bridge trust deficit: QureshiJune 24th, 2010 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
By Naveen Kapoor
Islamabad, June 24 (ANI): Pakistan has expressed optimism over the ongoing Indo-Pak foreign secretary level talks in Islamabad and said that both countries should build on the talks to bridge the trust deficit.
Talking exclusively to ANI at the Pakistan Foreign Office, Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi said: “I think this dialogue is a step forward, definitely a step forward. The fact that the two sides have resumed the dialogue’ agreed to sit together, to talk on the issues of mutual concern, is an important development and, we should build on this development”.
When asked whether the Indo-Pak dialogue could bridge the existing “trust deficit”, he said: “Why not, where there is a will, there is a way.”
Earlier in the day, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao also called on Pakistan Foreign Minister Qureshi.
Rao is here to prepare the ground for the foreign minister-level talks slated to take place on July 15 in Islamabad.
Issues like reducing the existing trust deficit, terrorism, Kashmir, the trial of mastermind of 26/11 Mumbai attack came up during the discussion.
Home Minister Chidamabaram is also arriving here tomorrow.
Interestingly, there is optimism expressed by Islamabad in the wake of a statement made by Indian Foreign Minister S.M. Krishna.
Krishna said in Mumbai that nothing spectacular should be expected from the series of talks with Pakistan due to the complexity of bilateral ties between the two countries. (ANI)
- India plays cautious, says talks with Pakistan on (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan's overreach thwarted July 15 talks: India - Oct 19, 2010
- Foreign secretary talks: A foundation for sustained dialogue, says Krishna (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Krishna plays down Pakistan's jibes, says talks in Islamabad were positive - Jul 16, 2010
- Foreign Minister-level talks collapsed due to India's internal problems: Zardari - Jul 24, 2010
- India tells Pak that terrorism holding back talks progress - Apr 29, 2010
- India to Pakistan: Ready to discuss all issues, step-by-step (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- 'Solid foundation' laid for India, Pakistan engagement: Krishna - Feb 07, 2011
- Talks with Pakistan only to bridge trust deficit: Krishna - May 20, 2010
- Pak ready to reduce trust deficit with India: Qureshi - Jun 08, 2010
- Indo-Pak dialogue to gain momentum in Islamabad next week - Jun 18, 2010
- 'Major strides in reducing trust deficit with Pakistan' - Mar 09, 2012
- Do not pre-judge outcome of talks with Pakistan: Krishna - Jul 08, 2010
- Pak to approach talks with positive mindset, but wants India to shun Mumbai 'fixation' - Jul 09, 2010
- Pakistan ready to cooperate with India on Mumbai blasts: Bashir - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: bilateral ties, bridge, complexity, dialogue, foreign minister, foreign office, home minister, indo, june 24, kashmir, krishna krishna, mahmood qureshi, makhdoom, mastermind, minister level, mutual concern, optimism, pakistan, shah mahmood, trust deficit