India looks for scapegoat after terror attack: BangladeshAugust 5th, 2008 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 5 (IANS) India looked for a “scapegoat” every time there was a terror attack, said a Bangladesh government spokesperson, adding that Dhaka would lodge a protest against allegations in the Indian media that the banned Harkatul Jihad Islami (HuJI) was involved in last month’s Ahmedabad blasts. The military backed government’s Communications Adviser Ghulam Quader said Bangladesh resented the allegation that the banned Islamist HuJI was behind the July 26 serial bombings in Ahmedabad in which at least 51 people were killed.
“India always looks for a scapegoat whenever such incidents happen there. We will lodge a protest (against the allegation) … The banned organisation (HuJI) has had no activities for long … It has ceased to operate,” Quader told reporters.
Home Affairs Secretary Abdul Karim added that the group had been banned in 2005.
“We will take measures as per rules if evidence (of the HuJi’s involvement] is produced by India,” Karim was quoted as saying by New Age newspaper.
Karim has chaired several meetings of law-enforcing agencies and intelligence bodies to take stock of reports that the HuJI, the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) and other banned outfits were regrouping.
Media reports in India, quoting intelligence sources, have alleged that the JMB and the HuJI are operating in coordination with the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jaish-e-Mohammed to carry out explosions with the help of their local sleepers.
Tags: abdul karim, ahmedabad, allegation, bangladesh government, dhaka, ghulam, government spokesperson, home affairs, huji, intelligence sources, jaish, jamaat, jihad islami, jmb, lashkar e taiba, mujahideen, quader, s communications, scapegoat, terror attack