India hopes Pakistan will view Sarabjit case ‘from all angles’March 18th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, March 18 (IANS) The Indian mission here Tuesday hoped that appeals for clemency by New Delhi and the family of condemned Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh will be “considered from all angles” by the new Pakistan government. “It is hoped that appeals from Sarabjit Singh’s family, the government of India and others would be given a chance to be considered from all angles, including by the new government expected to take office in Pakistan soon,” said a statement by the Indian high commission.
Sarabjit Singh is set to go to the gallows April 1 after President Pervez Musharraf turned down his mercy petition.
The Indian has been convicted on charges of orchestrating a series of bomb blasts across the country two decades ago.
The Indian statement noted that news about Sarabjit Singh’s imminent hanging had been met “with dismay in India”.
It added that the impression in the Pakistani media that Islamabad’s “sudden decision” to hang Sarabjit Singh was in retaliation for the death of a Pakistani prisoner in India, Khalid Mehmood, had been noted.
“Such impressions will impinge on the positive atmosphere currently existing among India and Pakistan,” said the statement.
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- I regret the day Surjeet Singh got released: Dalbir Kaur - Jul 02, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Salman starts 'free Sarabjit Singh' campaign online - Jul 01, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Salman launches online petition for Sarabjit's release - Jun 30, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: angles, april 1, bomb blasts, clemency, decades, dismay, gallows, government of india, impressions, india and pakistan, indian high commission, khalid mehmood, mercy petition, New Delhi, pakistan government, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, retaliation, sarabjit singh, sudden decision