India frees 14 Pakistani prisoners (Lead)June 28th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, June 28 (IANS) Fourteen Pakistanis walked home to freedom from the Attari border checkpost near here Tuesday, after being released from prisons in four states.
They included 10 Pakistani fishermen who had strayed into Indian waters off the coast of Gujarat, said officials at the border checkpost, about 30 km from here.
Ten of them were brought here from Gujarat, two from Jammu and Kashmir and one each from Punjab and Maharashtra.
All the Pakistanis were given emergency travel certificates by the Pakistan high commission in New Delhi.
The Pakistanis said they were happy to return home after being jailed in India for the last few months.
“We are very happy to be going back. We want that both the countries should let off innocent people who cross into the territory of the other country. The process should be made faster for release,” Noor Mohammed, who hails from a village near Karachi and spent seven months in an Indian prison, told reporters here.
Border Security Force (BSF) officials escorted the Pakistanis up to the border gates with Pakistan where they were handed over to officials of that country’s border guards Pakistan Rangers.
- India releases 14 Pakistani prisoners - Jun 28, 2011
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan releases 17 Indian prisoners at Attari border - Jun 23, 2010
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- India, Pakistan border guards exchange Diwali sweets - Oct 26, 2011
- Pakistan releases 18 Indian fishermen - May 23, 2012
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
- Eid Mubarak at Wagah-Attari border - Aug 20, 2012
- Indian, Pakistan border guards exchange greetings - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistan Rangers offer BSF sweets on I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Pak releases last batch of Indian fishermen - Sep 07, 2010
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- 101 Indian fishermen return home from Pak through Wagah land route - Sep 05, 2010
- 14 Indians released from Karachi jail - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: border gates, border guards, border security force, bsf, emergency travel, fishermen, four states, gujarat, indian waters, jammu and kashmir, karachi, kashmir, noor, pakistan high commission, pakistan rangers, pakistanis, prisons, punjab, seven months, travel certificates