India behind Pakistan on human development indices: UN reportNovember 4th, 2010 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) India lags behind its neighbours, Pakistan and Bangladesh, on human development indices like life expectancy at birth and mean or average years of schooling, a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) report released Thursday said.
Titled “Real Wealth of Nations: Pathways to Human Development”, the report had a global launch and was released at the UN in New York by UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon.
While India is ranked 119 on the Human Development Index (HDI) among 169 countries — above Pakistan and Bangladesh which are ranked 125 and 129, respectively — it lags behind the two on certain development indices.
According to the report, life expectancy at birth in India is 64.4 years, while in Pakistan it is 67.2 years. In Bangladesh, life expectancy is 66.9 years.
Similarly, mean years of schooling in India is 4.4 years while in Pakistan and Bangladesh it is 4.9 and 4.8 years respectively.
Sri Lanka, which is ranked above India on HDI at 91, also fares better than India on the two indices. Its life expectancy at birth is 74.4 years and mean years of schooling is 8.2 years.
On some positive note, in terms of growth of income, India is considered one of the top 10 countries. China is on the top position in this index.
Finance Ministry’s chief economic advisor Kaushik Basu, who was present at the India launch of the report, said: “India has a lot of catching up to do. There is scope to do so much better.”
- India Shining? Income grows, development doesn't, says UNDP report - Nov 04, 2010
- Pakistan ranked 10th in UNDP's Human Development Index progress list - Feb 24, 2011
- India ranks low 134 in human development index - Nov 02, 2011
- Inequalities among states affect human development: Study - Jul 15, 2011
- More women respected in Pakistan than India: report - Nov 05, 2010
- India rank poor 134 on UN's Human Development Index - Oct 05, 2009
- 'India fourth worst in maternal care' - May 08, 2012
- India ranked ninth on innovation efficiency - Jul 03, 2011
- National mission on clean coal technologies soon - Oct 12, 2010
- IGNOU to establish 400 training centres in Bihar - Nov 08, 2009
- 'Low-income states struggle with gender empowerment' - Mar 08, 2009
- Montek advocates new parameters for human development index (Lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- 24 percent Indian kids go hungry: Survey (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- India ranked third worst on mother care: Report - May 07, 2011
Tags: 8 years, ban ki moon, bangladesh life, economic advisor, finance ministry, hdi, human development index, index finance, kaushik basu, launch, life expectancy, neighbours, New Delhi, pathways, un secretary general, undp, united nations, united nations development, united nations development programme, wealth of nations