India bat in first ODI, Sehwag ruled outAugust 18th, 2008 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 18 (IANS) The Indians were batting first in the opening one-day international (ODI) cricket match with Sri Lanka here Monday. India’s ODI captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni won the toss and chose to bat, though hard-hitting opener Virender Sehwag was ruled out due to an injury. Sehwag had hurt his ankle during training on Sunday, but the Indians hadn’t ruled the batsman out. The batsman was ruled out after his injury was reassessed Monday morning.
Virat Kohli, the 19-year-old who had captained India in its triumphant under-19 World Cup campaign last year was handed his ODI debut.
Sehwag was the only Indian batsman who was successful during the Test series that preceded the ODIs. The batsman topped the batting averages from both sides after ending the series with 344 runs in six innings with a best of 201 not out.
Sri Lanka, meanwhile, retained the side that won the Asia Cup final against India in Pakistan a month ago.
Sri Lanka: Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, Chamara Silva, Chamara Kapugedara, Tillekeratne Dilshan, Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Thilina Tushara Mirando and Nuwan Kulasekara.
India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Captain), Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Irfan Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel and Pragyan Ojha.
Umpires: Billy Doctrove (WI) and Asoka de Silva (SL)
Third Umpire: Gamini Silva (SL)
Standby Umpire: Sena Nandaweera (SL)
Match Referee: Chris Broad (Eng)
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against India - Aug 28, 2010
- Sri Lanka win toss, to bat against India - Apr 02, 2011
- India bat first in fourth ODI against Sri Lanka - Aug 27, 2008
- India win toss, ask Sri Lanka to bat - Aug 20, 2008
- Tendulkar opts out of Sri Lanka tour - Jul 04, 2012
- Kohli gets two nominations for ICC Awards - Aug 13, 2012
- Sri Lanka elect to bat in fifth ODI against India - Aug 29, 2008
- India, Sri Lanka to resume ODI rivalry - Jul 20, 2012
- India bat first after Dhoni wins toss - Aug 24, 2008
- India elect to bat in Asia Cup final - Jun 24, 2010
- Sri Lanka to bat against India - Feb 08, 2012
- Sehwag rested, Sachin retained in India's squad for Asia Cup - Feb 29, 2012
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against India - Aug 16, 2010
- India elect to bat against Sri Lanka - Aug 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka bat in third ODI - Jul 28, 2012