Increase cross border trade in Kashmir: trade lobbyMay 20th, 2009 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 20 (IANS) India and Pakistan should take steps to augment the cross-border trade between the two countries in Jammu and Kashmir, an industry lobby said Wednesday.
Though the trade across the Line of Control (LoC) - the de facto border in the state - is picking up, there was “an urgent need to redress the long identified problems”, Ram Sahai, president of the Jammu Chamber of Commerce and Industries, told the media.
He said only 21 items were being traded across the LoC since the business ties between the two parts of the state, divided between India and Pakistan, began last October.
The industry lobby is demanding that more items be included in the trading list.
Sahai said “proper banking service” should be launched to back up the trade.
The cross-LoC trade, conducted just twice a week, should be allowed daily, he said.
A traders’ delegation from Jammu and Kashmir is visiting Pakistan-administered Kashmir from June 1 to 6. Last year, Pakistani Kashmir traders visited Srinagar and Jammu for discussions with their counterparts on improving the trade ties.
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Cross-LOC trade declining on Poonch route - Aug 27, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- Cross LoC travel: India unilaterally increases stay period to six months - Mar 26, 2011
- Cross-LOC trade helps outsiders more, say Jammu locals - Mar 14, 2011
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- Kashmiri traders want more of India-Pakistan trade - Jul 28, 2011