In melee, wife unable to meet Surjeet (Lead, superseding earlier story)June 28th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Attari (Punjab), June 28 (IANS) Such was the rush to welcome Surjeet Singh after he crossed into India here Thursday that his wife could not get near him.
It was a moment photographers had waited for — when the man who was in Pakistani prisons for 30 long years would be greeted by his wife.
As Surjeet crossed the no-man’s strip to enter India, he was mobbed by officials and others including his son Kulwinder Singh, daughters as well as other relatives. Fellow villagers hugged and garlanded him.
In the melee, his wife Harbans Kaur failed to get a chance to meet her husband.
Surjeet and his relatives were taken to Amritsar where he prayed at the Harmandar Sahib.
One relative said Surjeet’s wife would meet her husband at their village in Ferozepur district.
- Surjeet met by children, to meet wife later - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet given rousing welcome in Punjab's Phidde village - Jun 29, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- For Surjeet Singh, life unfolds a guessing game - Jul 01, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh gets Rs.5 lakh from Punjab government - Jul 19, 2012
- Surjeet freed but reaches Wagah in handcuffs (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- PM to begin New Year with prayers at Golden Temple - Dec 31, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Villagers welcome Gopal Dass with garlands, sweets - Apr 07, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012