Imran Khan sets 30 days deadline over US drone strikesApril 25th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Apr 25(ANI): Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan has said that if the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP)-led federal government fails to stop US drone strikes within 30 days, protesters will block all NATO supply routes across the country.
Imran also warned that protesters would march to Islamabad to force the government to take a stand on the issue if drone strikes continue.
“The government has failed to stop the US strikes which kill innocent people including women and children,” the Nation quoted Imran, as saying.
The PTI had earlier arranged a two-day sit-in against drone strikes in Peshawar during which a road, which acts as the main supply route for NATO, troops in Afghanistan was totally blocked.
Over 900 people were killed in drone attacks in Pakistan’s tribal areas, the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) had earlier said in its annual report.
The US does not confirm the drone attacks, but its military and the CIA operating in Afghanistan are the only forces that deploy the unmanned aircraft in the region.
Pakistan officially protests the strikes as violations of its sovereignty, but its security agencies are believed to secretly cooperate with the programme. (ANI)
- Pak suspends NATO supplies to Afghanistan due to protests against US drone attacks - Apr 24, 2011
- Pak re-opens NATO supply route in Peshawar - Apr 25, 2011
- Pakistanis protest against US drone strikes - Apr 24, 2011
- Pak public should come out on streets against US drone attacks: Shahbaz Sharif - Apr 27, 2011
- Imran Khan declares legal war against US drone attacks in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Imran fears suicide attacks if NATO supply resumes - Apr 14, 2012
- Will halt US drone strikes: Imran Khan - Feb 11, 2012
- Imran threatens to obstruct NATO supplies if Pak Govt doesn't stop US drone campaign - Mar 26, 2011
- Sit-in against U.S. drone attacks begins in Pakistan - Apr 24, 2011
- Imran Khan warns of march over drone killings - Jul 15, 2012
- Imran's party threatens to block NATO supplies - Mar 26, 2011
- Pak losing war on terror due to flawed strategy: Imran Khan - Mar 10, 2011
- US, NATO countries are Pakistan's enemies, says Imran Khan - Oct 08, 2010
- People being made slaves in free country, says Imran Khan - Apr 07, 2011
- NATO jets, drone violate Pakistan's airspace again - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: annual report, cia, drone, federal government, hrcp, human rights commission, human rights commission of pakistan, imran khan, nato, nato troops in afghanistan, ppp, protesters, pti, security agencies, sovereignty, strikes, tehreek e insaf, tribal areas, troops in afghanistan, unmanned aircraft