Important progress in pipeline talks with Iran: PakistanApril 25th, 2008 - 7:00 am ICT by admin
Islamabad, April 24 (Xinhua) Pakistan said Thursday it has made important progress in talks with Iran over the Iran-Pakistan-India (IPI) gas pipeline project. “The gas sales and purchase agreement has been initiated and, once approved, will be signed by the two sides,” foreign ministry spokesman Muhammad Sadiq told a weekly press conference.
“We have also reached broad agreement on transportation fee with India. However, the issue of transit fee remains to be resolved,” Sadiq said.
The long delayed IPI project, which has been under discussions since 1994, were deadlocked in mid-2007 when New Delhi stayed away over differences on the transit fee and transportation tariff to be charged by Pakistan for Iranian gas sent to India.
While the transit fee is akin to a royalty to be paid to Pakistan for transporting the Iranian gas through its territory, the transportation tariff will be linked to the cost of the pipeline.
“It is being discussed between the respective ministers and the Indian petroleum minister is in Pakistan to finalize the agreement, ” Sadiq said.
India’s Petroleum Minister Murli Deora participated in talks on Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline project that concluded Thursday. He will talk with his Pakistani counterpart Khwaja Asif Friday to narrow down their differences over the IPI project.
Deora’s visit marks the first formal contact between India and Pakistan since the new Pakistani coalition government took office last month.
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012
- Gas from TAPI likely to flow in five years: Official - Aug 18, 2012
- Four-nation gas deal signed in Turkmenistan - Dec 12, 2010
- India signs four-nation Turkmenistan gas pipeline deal (Lead) - Dec 12, 2010
- Zardari, Manmohan may meet on sidelines on Turkmenistan summit this weekend - Dec 09, 2010
- Turkmenistan gas pipeline transit fee finalised: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- IPI on backburner, India hopeful of TAPI by 2015 - Jan 07, 2011
- India discusses TAPI pipeline project with Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2011
- India to get gas from Turkmenistan - May 17, 2012
- India, Pakistan to sign four-nation gas deal - Dec 09, 2010
- India, Pakistan to settle transit fee on Turkmenian gas (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- India signs deal for Turkmen gas through Afghanistan, Pakistan - Sep 20, 2010
- India signs gas supply pact with Turkmenistan - May 23, 2012
- TAPI pipeline to India could be pipedream: Pakistani daily - Dec 15, 2010
- India, Pakistan say strategy soon for gas import from Turkmenistan - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, asif, coalition government, counterpart, foreign ministry spokesman, gas pipeline project, india and pakistan, indian petroleum, ipi, iran pakistan, iranian, islamabad, muhammad sadiq, murli, pakistan india, purchase agreement, talks with iran, tapi, transportation fee, xinhua