Hunt on for owner of mansion where Osama was hidingMay 3rd, 2011 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 3 (IANS) A massive hunt has been launched for the owner of the sprawling mansion in Abbottabad where Osama bin Laden was hiding in Abbottabad city. The Al Qaeda leader was killed at the $1 million house by US security forces.
The locals used to call the house Waziristan Haveli as it was was owned by a transporter from Waziristan.
“Nobody had a clue to the presence of Osama and his family there,” Dawn quoted a local resident as saying.
An official said the Waziristani transporters’ connection could give them clues as to how Osama and his family travelled to the place.
Security agencies are now looking for the mansion’s owner.
The house was built some five years ago and it is not far from the Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul.
According to an official, it may have been built close to a high security zone to protect it from foreign intelligence operatives and electronic surveillance and predator drones.
An analyst added: “…that he would live a quiet family life with his wives and children, away from the rugged hot-zones of the tribal regions, in a picturesque and scenic place like Abbottabad was beyond anybody’s imaginations.”
- Zardari says Osama raid only US operation, hunt for house owner (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Confusion persists on Pakistan role in Osama killing (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Osama met Al Qaeda, Taliban leaders at Abbottabad house - May 15, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Review Pakistan's ties with US: Nawaz Sharif - May 11, 2011
- US hasn't requested access to Osama's family: Islamabad - May 11, 2011
- Osama plotted attacks on key US cities, railways (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Osama probe panel retraces US choppers' route - Sep 14, 2011
- Osama had lived for some time in village near Abbottabad - May 07, 2011
- Osama bin Laden killed, Pakistan kept in dark (Roundup) - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan envoy for probe into Osama hideout - May 08, 2011
- Osama's compound in Pakistan razed - Feb 26, 2012
- Bank accounts of doctor who helped track Osama sealed - Feb 25, 2012
- Kashmir terror outfit Hizbul Mujahedeen behind sheltering Osama in Abbottabad? - May 04, 2011
- Courier who led US to Osama was a Kuwaiti (Lead) - May 03, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, al qaeda, electronic surveillance, haveli, high security, hot zones, imaginations, intelligence operatives, massive hunt, military academy, osama bin laden, pakistan military, place security, predator drones, qaeda leader, quiet family, security agencies, security forces, security zone, transporters