HRCP says Musharraf’s claim on missing persons ‘absolutely untenable’April 29th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Apr.29 (ANI): The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has termed claims of former President General Pervez Musharraf that almost all persons who have ‘disappeared’ in the past from the country have gone missing of their own will, is ‘absolutely untenable’.
A commission statement said General Musharraf’s claims that state agencies did not have any hand in the disappearance of people was far from the truth.
“While some individuals may have gone away on their own, the statement that all victims of enforced disappearances had gone missing voluntarily to join the jihad without informing their families is absolutely untenable. It contradicts undeniable evidence and numerous accounts of those who have regained freedom after being missing for various periods,” the statement said.
HRCP Chairwoman Asma Jahangir said it was incongruous on the part of Musharraf to deny the role of government agencies, which was already proved by the Senate’s Functional Committee on Human Rights.
“The civilised world no longer buys such versions. Whatever be the charges, they should be properly probed and documented and a legal course of action should be adopted,” the committee said. (ANI)
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- Probe Asma Jahangir's death plot, say human rights groups - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan human rights commission urges release of missing journalist - May 31, 2011
- Pak SC makes history by issuing notices to spymasters in missing persons case - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Pak govt. failed to present Taseer's murder in right perspective' - Apr 18, 2011
- Rights group raps Pakistan for anti-Taliban militia - Mar 22, 2010
- Killing of missing Baloch persons during Eid "unreservedly condemnable": HRCP - Nov 24, 2010
- Husain Haqqani fears he will be killed - Jan 04, 2012
- 'Memo panel didn't declare Haqqani a traitor' - Jul 13, 2012
- Pakistan's opposition fumes over missing people - Mar 09, 2012
- Pak Human Rights Commission slams illegal detention of suspected militants' relatives - Feb 23, 2010
- Memo case: SC to hear Haqqani's plea Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- Pakistani journalist abducted by ISI? (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- HRCP claims attacks on Shia processions were sectarian - Sep 03, 2010
- Kayani's tenure extension will undermine Pak parliament's authority: Experts - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: civilised world, disappearance, disappearances, former president, functional committee, general musharraf, general pervez musharraf, government agencies, hrcp, human rights commission, human rights commission of pakistan, jahangir, jihad, lahore, missing persons, periods, pervez musharraf, president general pervez musharraf, role of government, undeniable evidence