HRCP asks India-Pakistan to de-escalate rising war fearsJanuary 4th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jan.4 (ANI): While international diplomatic efforts are on to tone down tensions between India and Pakistan, civil society in both countries has urged de-escalation to stem rising war fears.
The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has urged both countries to change their respective stances regarding the present crisis.
Commenting on the present scenario, Asma Jahangir of the HRCP said: People with vested interests are aggravating war sentiments among the people of India and Pakistan, as a result of which the public is paying up a huge price.
Addressing a press conference, Jahangir accepted the fact that Pakistan cannot afford a war because of its internal crisis.
She said the forces responsible for stirring war hysteria are the ones that do not want democracy to flourish in Pakistan.
HRCP director, IA Rehman too supported Jahangirs call. He asked the leaderships of both India and Pakistan to resist any temptation to violate one anothers territorial integrity.
Both nations should focus on more pivotal issues such as poverty, provision of food, homelessness and unemployment. The Governments of both the countries should ensure security of life and guarantee essentials such as water, gas, electricity and social services to the public, the Daily Times quoted Rehman, as saying.
Terrorism should be countered through mutual understanding and constructive efforts rather than military confrontation, he added. (ANI)
- Probe Asma Jahangir's death plot, say human rights groups - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Pak govt. failed to present Taseer's murder in right perspective' - Apr 18, 2011
- Asma Jahangir urges rivals India and Pakistan to bring common people closer - Mar 16, 2011
- HRCP for greater people-to-people contact between India and Pakistan to establish peace - Jan 31, 2009
- Peaceniks call for resumption of India-Pakistan dialogue - Jan 12, 2010
- US, Pakistan ties have hit new low: Daily - Sep 27, 2011
- Commonwealth asked to act on threat to Asma Jehangir - Jun 09, 2012
- Husain Haqqani fears he will be killed - Jan 04, 2012
- Indo-Pak peace activists meet at Attari to defuse tensions - Jan 12, 2009
- Pakistan cannot afford another spell of army rule: Asma Jahangir - Aug 13, 2009
- Both US and Pak will fail in fight against terrorism if not together: Gilani - Apr 18, 2011
- India for peaceful solution in Syria - Apr 28, 2011
- India, Pakisan activists promote peace at Amritsar seminar - Jan 12, 2009
- Asma Jahangir assails LHC stay order against presidential pardon for Aasia Bibi - Dec 01, 2010
- Don't block people to people contact: Asma Jahangir - Jan 22, 2009
Tags: escalation, gas electricity, homelessness, hrcp, human rights commission, human rights commission of pakistan, india and pakistan, india pakistan, internal crisis, international diplomatic efforts, jahangir, leaderships, military confrontation, mutual understanding, pivotal issues, sentiments, social services, territorial integrity, war hysteria, water gas