Hope fades for 138 missing in Pakistan avalancheApril 11th, 2012 - 1:45 am ICT by BNO News
ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — Hundreds of rescue workers continued to search Tuesday for more than 130 people who were buried by a large avalanche in a mountainous area of northern Pakistan late last week, officials said. There is little hope of finding survivors.
The avalanche occurred near the Pakistani town of Skardu on early Saturday morning at the 5,750-meters (18,870 feet) high Siachen Glacier in the eastern Karakoram range in the Himalaya Mountains, just east of the Line of Control between India and Pakistan. The glacier is known as the world’s highest battlefield.
Saturday’s avalanche covered an area of approximately one square kilometer (0.38 square mile), burying the headquarters of the 6 Northern Light Infantry Battalion, which has been situated at the same place for about 20 years. It is the first time that the military camp has been hit by a major avalanche.
According to a new list released by the Pakistani military on Tuesday, a total of 138 officers, junior commissioned officers and soldiers of the 6 Northern Light Infantry Battalion remain missing. More than 450 people continued a search-and-rescue operation on Tuesday with the help of heavy machinery, despite the bad weather.
“Five points have been identified on the site where rescue work is in progress. Two points are being dug with equipment while three points are being dug manually,” a military spokesperson said, adding that rescue workers are using life detection equipment and thermal imaging cameras to find survivors.
As of late Tuesday, no survivors or bodies have been found.
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- 100 Pakistani troops buried in Siachen avalanche (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Siachen avalanche buries 130 Pakistani soldiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Resolve Siachen row, daily tells Pakistan, India - Apr 08, 2012
- Pakistan avalanche buries 135 people - Apr 08, 2012
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- Tunnels dug to reach Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 11, 2012
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- Sweden finds possible debris from missing Norwegian plane - Mar 17, 2012
- Pakistani soldier's body recovered in Siachen - May 27, 2012
- Equipment of buried Pakistani soldiers found in Siachen - May 22, 2012
- US, Chinese teams head to Pakistan avalanche site - Apr 15, 2012
- Mudslide at iron mine in northwest China kills 7, buries 21 - Aug 01, 2012
- Vintage biplane with 6 onboard goes missing in Australia - Oct 02, 2012
Tags: bad weather, bno, five points, heavy machinery, himalaya mountains, hope fades, india and pakistan, karakoram range, light infantry battalion, little hope, military camp, military spokesperson, mountainous area, northern pakistan, pakistani military, search and rescue, siachen glacier, skardu, square kilometer, thermal imaging cameras