Hockey can help ease tensions, says Pakistan hockey chiefDecember 17th, 2008 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Dec 17 (IANS) Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) chief Qasim Zia believes that the sport, which was once a passion in the sub-continent, can help ease tensions between Pakistan and India.Zia, a former hockey Olympian and now an influential leader of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), told reporters Wednesday that the two neighbours should not call off sporting ties.
The PHF chief said he will be meeting top Indian officials in Kuala Lumpur on the sidelines of the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) Congress Saturday.
“It’s very important for both Pakistan and India to keep hockey alive here and that can be done through a combined effort,” he said.
Hockey was once regarded as the most popular sport on both sides of the border. But it has lost its appeal in the last two decades.
The relations between the two countries have strained post-Mumbai terror attacks last month.
Zia said Pakistan is also a victim of terrorism, adding that terrorists are attempting to destablise the entire region.
He said the officials of the two countries should come forward and play their role to improve the situation.
“The terrorists cannot beat us as we are committed to fail their plans,” he said.
Zia said that by continuing to exchange sporting tours, Pakistan and India can thwart terrorists’ attempts to create chaos in the region.
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan hockey chief says keen on bilateral ties with India - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan keen on reviving hockey series with India - Oct 28, 2010
- PHF patron Malik to work for Indo-Pak hockey series resumption - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Batra elected Asian Hockey Federation vice president - Jan 18, 2011
- Hanif named new Pakistan hockey chief selector - Mar 29, 2010
- Pakistan's hockey legends want PHF secretary sacked - Apr 14, 2010
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Possible India-Pak series will strengthen, popularise hockey: Bajwa - Apr 11, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan government to decide hockey team's participation in World Cup - Nov 24, 2009
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- PHF appoints Junaid hockey coach as foreign coaches refuse to work in 'violent' Pak - Apr 17, 2010