Hitler ”led henchmen” in Kristallnacht riotsOctober 22nd, 2008 - 12:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct.22 (ANI): Before becoming the undisputed dictator of Germany, Adolf Hitler marched his henchmen onto the streets of Munich to perpetrate the atrocity that became known as Kristallnact.
Newly deciphered passages from the diaries of Josef Goebbels show that on the night of November 9, 1938, the Fuhrer led Nazis to destroy an important synagogue, and deliberately throwing a match into a tinderbox.
That Nazi-era pogrom was prompted by the murder of German diplomat Ernst vom Rath in Paris on November 7, 1938 by Jewish teenager Herschel Grynszpan.
The pogrom has gone down in history as the Night of the Broken Glass.
By morning of the tenth, at least 92 Jews had been murdered, more than 200 synagogues destroyed and thousands of Jewish businesses ransacked across Germany.
The Telegraph quotes Angela Hermann, a historian at Munich’’s Institute for Contemporary History, as saying: ””We have real evidence now that Hitler pulled the strings, that he personally directed the Kristallnacht.””
The riddle revolved around Goebbels” enigmatic reference to ””Hitler’’s Stosstrupp””, or Hitler’’s ”’’special troops””. In his diary entry for November 9, the Nazi propaganda minister recounts a rally at the Munich Town Hall in which Hitler told him, among other things, that the police should let people express their anger over the vom Rath assassination.
Goebbels then wrote: ””Hitler’’s Stosstrupp goes out immediately to clean up Munich … and a synagogue is smashed.””
This had historians puzzled, as there was no force known as ””Hitler’’s Stosstrupp”” in 1938. By digging through Munich archives, Dr Hermann found letters and documents to show that the term referred to the veterans of Hitler’’s failed attempt to seize power in 1923, known as the Beer Hall Putsch.
These old street fighters remained loyal to Hitler, taking orders from no one else. (ANI)
- Synagogue opens in German town after 70 years - Mar 15, 2010
- Exhibition showing Nazi-era Berlin reopened - Aug 24, 2010
- Synagogue torched in Germany - May 17, 2010
- Hollywood legend Errol Flynn worked as Nazi spy, met Hitler, claims biography - Jul 11, 2009
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- BJP condemns Modi's comparison with Goebbels - May 27, 2012
- Revealed: French stained glass window depicting Hitler as King Herod - Jan 17, 2011
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Hitler stole Beetle idea from Jewish engineer: Book - Jan 16, 2012
- British Legion's shameful visit to Hitler revealed after 75 years - Nov 01, 2010
- Hitler's Viagra made from semen, young bulls - Feb 06, 2010
- Germany's first Hitler exhibition seeks to break age-old taboos - Oct 13, 2010
- Hitler had a love child, says war soldier's diary - Mar 15, 2012
- Mussolini thought he was more racist than 'sentimentalist' Hitler - Nov 17, 2009
- Adolf Hitler Had Jewish-African Origins, Research Suggests - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, atrocity, beer hall putsch, contemporary history, diary entry, ernst vom rath, fuhrer, german diplomat, henchmen, herschel, jewish businesses, jewish teenager, kristallnacht riots, nazi propaganda minister, night of the broken glass, pogrom, street fighters, synagogue, synagogues, tinderbox