Hindu member of Pak Sindh Assembly flees to India for safety after getting life threatsJanuary 30th, 2011 - 12:52 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jan 30(ANI): A Hindu member of Pakistan’s Sindh Assembly has resigned from his seat after taking refuge in India, following life threats received by him.
Ram Singh Sodho was elected as member of the Sindh Assembly on the quota of ‘reserved seats for minorities’ in the 2008 general elections.
After receiving some security threats, Sodho fled to India, from where he sent his resignation to Sindh Assembly Speaker Nisar Ahmad Khoro, The Nation reported.
The resignation has been accepted with immediate effect.
Sindh Assembly Secretary and PML-Q’s parliamentary leader Abdul Razzak Rahimoonconfirmed that Sodho, PML-Q’s minority MPA from Thar, had tendered his resignation from his assembly seat.
Sodho cited “some unavoidable reasons” behind his resignation, The News quoted Rahimoon, as saying.
A telephonic contact was also made with the minority legislator before the approval of his resignation by Speaker Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, the Sindh Assembly Secretary added.However, according to him, Sodho has been getting medical treatment in India, where his doctors have advised him to avoid travelling.
Sodho was a senior legislator who also remained Naib Nazim of district Thar. Cheetan from Thatta would be the new minority MPA of the PML-Q, Rahimoon added.
Incidents of kidnapping for ransom have seen an alarming rise during the last few months, forcing many families to abandon their homes and shift to India or other countries. (ANI)
- Hindu legislator resigns in Pakistan - Jan 29, 2011
- Hindu legislator quits in Pakistan, shifts to India (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Zardari seeks report on killing of Hindu doctors - Nov 08, 2011
- Protect minorities, lawmakers ask Pakistan - Feb 01, 2011
- PPP says PML-Q legislator immigrated to India on free will - Mar 07, 2011
- Disquiet among Pakistani Hindus over kidnapped leader - Feb 25, 2011
- Gilani condemns murder of three Hindu doctors - Nov 09, 2011
- Minorities feeling insecure in Pakistan, says minister - Feb 08, 2011
- Parsi businesswoman abducted in Pakistan - Mar 09, 2011
- Hindu trader shot dead in Pakistan - Feb 07, 2011
- `Hindus in Pakistan angry, helpless' - Apr 10, 2012
- Parsi businesswoman kidnapped in Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- PML-Q demands open debate in Pak Punjab Assembly on Raymond Davis' release - Mar 22, 2011
- Pakistan elects senators (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Sindh Assembly wants Pak Govt to recommend Bhatti's name for Nobel Prize - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: ahmed, alarming rise, assembly seat, assembly speaker, general elections, hindu, legislator, medical treatment, minorities, mpa, nazim, nisar ahmad, parliamentary leader, pml, ram singh, ransom, resignation, security threats, sindh assembly, unavoidable reasons