Heterosexual HIV ‘in China aggravated by unprotected sex, drugs’November 9th, 2010 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 9 (ANI): Researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health have examined the burden of HIV and sexually transmitted disease among male clients of the commercial sex industry in China’s Sichuan province.
Since 2007, heterosexual transmission has replaced injecting drug use as the primary transmission mode of all HIV infections in China.
“We found a large burden of syphilis infection coupled with high-risk sexual and substance use behaviors among male clients of sex workers,” said Cui Yang.
“Without effective interventions to prevent HIV transmission to the male client population, the current epidemic may expand into the general population,” he added.
Blood test results indicated that HIV prevalence was 1.5 percent; 5.3 percent were positive for syphilis and 8.7 percent positive for HCV.
The overall prevalence of consistent condom use with female sex workers was 30 percent.
The study also found a significant correlation between syphilis infection among male clients and not having local household registration, snorting heroin and washing genitals after having sex with a female sex worker.
“Our data raises concerns about the future heterosexual transmission of HIV to the general population in China since unprotected sex with female sex workers has become the norm,” said Kenrad Nelson at the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
The study is available online in advance of publication in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections. (ANI)
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- Sharing needles may play major role in transmission of syphilis - Apr 29, 2010
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Integrate Hepatitis C testing with HIV: NGOs - Oct 21, 2011
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- White gay men 'still taking too many HIV risks' - Sep 07, 2010
- Young women most vulnerable to HIV: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- Hepatitis C: Cure and control, right now! - Jul 29, 2010
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- Risky behaviour in sex workers' clients heightens HIV risk - Jul 11, 2009
- India close to eliminating syphilis: NACO - Nov 02, 2011
- HIV project saved 100,000 in India from infection: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- Legalizing same-sex marriage may help curb HIV, say experts - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: blood test results, bloomberg school of public health, client population, commercial sex, condom use, consistent condom, female sex workers, hiv infections, hiv prevalence, hiv transmission, johns hopkins bloomberg school of public health, male clients, population in china, school of public health, sex drugs, sex industry, sex worker, sichuan province, transmission mode, transmission of hiv