Heartbreak in Pakistan, three die over defeat (Lead)March 31st, 2011 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 31 (IANS) Pakistanis were shattered by the cricket team’s defeat in the World Cup semifinal, causing the death of three men from heart attacks.
India Wednesday beat Pakistan by 29 runs at Mohali where Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh were present. India will now play against Sri Lanka in the final at Mumbai.
In Karachi, a comedian died while participating in a TV show organised for the Pakistan-India match.
Daily Times reported that comedian Liaqat Soldier, 55, died due to a heart attack.
Liaqat started his career as an actor in 1973 and performed in over 250 television plays, besides numerous stage dramas across the globe during his 38-year career.
Liaquat, who performed in different countries, including India, also wrote and directed about 50 dramas.
Two more Pakistanis died of heart attacks after the team lost to India.
An unidentified 65-year old man of Rasheed Town in Peshawar and a resident of Sialkot in Punjab province died, Dunyanews reported.
“Cricket fans in various other cities showed their aggression after Pakistan’s defeat,” it said, without elaborating.
It added: “The whole nation … simply got disappointed (as Pakistan inched towards defeat in Mohali Wednesday). Fans watching live screening returned to their homes during the last overs of the match.”
- Two Pakistanis die after cricket defeat - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistani comedian dies during Indo-Pak cricket show - Mar 31, 2011
- Indo-Pak WC semi-final clash: Security beefed up around Dhoni's residence - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani urges Pak team to show "best of sportsmanship and dedication to contest" - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistani daily rues match fixing in cricket - Mar 15, 2012
- Frenzy peaks over India-Pakistan cricket clash - Mar 28, 2011
- PCB opens Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium for Indo-Pak WC semi-final treat for fans - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistani missing after Mohali match? Police don't think so - Apr 13, 2011
- Pakistan showed big hearts by dropping catches: Yuvraj (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Night Intro) - Mar 26, 2011
- India's commerce secretary to visit Pakistan next week - Apr 21, 2011
- Change India-Pakistan match venue: Petition in Karachi court - Mar 27, 2011
- World Cup semis, final matches pose real challenge to Pakistan: Mohsin Khan - Mar 25, 2011
- Gilani accepts Manmohan's invite for World Cup semifinal (Lead) - Mar 27, 2011
- 325 more Pakistani fans cross into India - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: comedian, cricket fans, cricket team, gilani, heart attack, heart attacks, heartbreak, indian counterpart, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohali, pakistan india, pakistani prime minister, pakistanis, peshawar, raza, sialkot, stage dramas, world cup semifinal, yousuf