Headley worked with FBI for capture of Mumbai mastermindJune 1st, 2011 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, June 1 (IANS) After his 2009 arrest, confessed Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley worked with FBI agents to try to engineer the capture of Sajid Mir, a suspected mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, according to testimony in a US court.
Headley aka Daood Gilani, Washington born son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, also proposed to US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) setting up Ilyas Kashmiri, another kingpin for a missile strike, ProPublica, an investigative news site reported Tuesday.
Headley testified in Chicago Federal court that during two weeks of interrogation in October 2009 he worked with FBI agents to try to lure Sajid Mir, a member of the Pakistan based Lashkar-i-Taiba (LeT) terrorist group and a suspected mastermind of the Mumbai attack, out of Pakistan so he could be arrested.
The attempt failed, Headley testified, and Mir remains a fugitive.
Headley also offered to travel undercover to the tribal areas of Pakistan and present Ilyas Kashmiri, an Al Qaeda-connected leader indicted in the Denmark plot, with an ornate sword that Headley suggested could be outfitted with a homing device to set up a US missile attack, according to his testimony.
Kashmiri, commander of the Pakistani-based terrorist organisation Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami (HuJI), was behind a plan to carry out Mumbai-style shooting attacks in Britain, France, Germany and Denmark, ProPublica said citing counter-terror officials.
Tuesday’s cross-examination featured excerpts of Headley’s videotaped interrogation by FBI agents after his arrest last October.
In contrast to his restrained demeanour on the stand, Headley was animated, almost frantic, as he told the agents he wanted to help them make arrests in the case, the video showed, ProPublica said.
- Headley may testify against Mumbai masterminds: US prosecutor - Jun 14, 2011
- 'US indictment of four Pakistanis in Mumbai attack significant' - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Pakistan's intelligence, military at service of LeT' - Jun 10, 2011
- Kayani refused to take away Lakhvi's mobile: report - Nov 23, 2011
- Headley desperately wanted FBI to make more arrests - Oct 20, 2011
- Is Headley telling the truth? - May 31, 2011
- Manhunt on for elusive mastermind of Mumbai attack: Report - Nov 14, 2010
- Before Mumbai attacks, wife warned of Headley's terror ties in Pakistan - Oct 16, 2010
- Rana trial may expose Pakistan's double game - May 23, 2011
- Rana was 'no dupe', played for same team as Headley: Prosecution (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Headley: An elusive spy who betrayed friends and allies - Nov 24, 2011
- Rana praised LeT handler for 'brilliantly' done Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- US media seeks release of Headley terror trial tape - Oct 08, 2011
- 'Rana, Headley were playing for the same team' - Jun 07, 2011
- Headley was caught with a map of Copenhagen: FBI - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: al islami, american mother, cross examination, david coleman, demeanour, federal bureau of investigation, gilani, harkat ul, homing device, huji, ilyas, investigation fbi, investigative news, kingpin, lashkar, missile strike, sajid, terrorist organisation, tribal areas, us missile attack