Have few flight paths over populated areas: Pakistani dailyMay 19th, 2012 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 19 (IANS) Few flight paths should go over densely populated areas, said a leading Pakistani daily Saturday following the death of four pilots in a mid-air collision of two Pakistan Air Force aircraft.
Four pilots - two instructors and two trainees - were killed Thursday when two PAF aircraft collided mid-air over Nowshera district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
An editorial in the Dawn said that “these were lives lost in vain, and while a board of inquiry has been ordered by the air headquarters, it might not be possible to ascertain the true cause of the accident”.
Eight civilians were injured, four of them seriously, when the wreckage of the aircraft fell on two houses.
“The tragedy should be taken, though, as a reason to revisit the issue of the route taken on flight training sessions and the harm that can come to people on the ground in case accidents occur,” the daily said.
This is the second plane crash involving trainee pilots this year where the wreckage fell on houses. In February, a small aircraft that had taken off from Lahore’s Walton Airport crashed in a residential area, killing both the instructor and the trainee.
The editorial said that authorities “need to look into how best to protect populations on the ground”.
“True, this is no doubt a challenging task, given that apart from the urban centres small towns and villages dot much of the country’s landscape liberally. But at least an effort can be made to ensure that as few flight paths as possible go over densely populated areas,” it added.
- Four pilots killed as two PAF planes collide (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Two Pakistanis die as plane crashes on lawn - Feb 23, 2012
- Second air disaster in Hyderabad in less than two years - Mar 03, 2010
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Two small planes crash in Orange County, New York - May 10, 2011
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Two pilots die as navy plane crashes during aerobatics (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2010
- It was all very scary: Eyewitnesses of aircraft crash (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Pakistani woman fighter pilot hurt in crash (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- Two pilots dead after training aircraft crashes in southern Taiwan - Dec 16, 2010
- It was all very scary: Eyewitnesses of aircraft crash - May 26, 2011
- Nigeria mourns plane crash victims - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: accidents, air force aircraft, board of inquiry, civilians, flight paths, flight training, islamabad, mid air collision, no doubt, paf, pakistan air force, plane crash, populations, residential area, second plane, small aircraft, trainee pilots, trainees, true cause, wreckage