Hardline Muslim preacher in the UK calls for Islamic-amputation and lashingsJuly 14th, 2008 - 11:53 am ICT by ANI
London , July 14 (ANI): An extremist Muslim preacher in the UK has reportedly called for Islamic-like punishments in the country, suggesting amputation of hands of thieves and lashing those who indulged in unmarried sex.
His demand for Islamic-style punishments was revealed as the row continues over the Lord Chief Justices recent support for Sharia law, reported The Sun.
Abu Zahra, the Muslim preacher, belongs to hardline Islamic group Hizb Ut Tahrir which once faced a ban. In his sermon at London s Regents Park mosque last evening, he slated British democracy as criminal, added the paper.
Zagras remark has evoked a strong reaction from the British leaders, even as Tory MP Philip Davies said: Its unacceptable.
According to the paper, in his speech Zahra declared: Male and female thief amputate their hands. Those who kill their life is not secure.
And, he slammed unmarried sex, saying: Lash them, added the paper.
Earlier this month, Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips had declared that Islamic legal principles could be applied by courts to resolve certain family, marital, or contractual cases. In a speech at an East London mosque, Lord Phillips had said that Sharia law could be applied so long as it did not conflict with English law.
But, Philips assertion has been criticized by many lawyers over concerns with the incorporation of religious values and a concern among womens groups that Sharia law was prejudicial to women and principles of equality. (ANI)
- Indonesian women caned in public for selling food during Ramadan under sharia law - Oct 02, 2010
- 'Stoning will happen in Britain too if sharia allowed' - Mar 21, 2012
- Germany to get first Islamic bank in October - Aug 30, 2012
- Bangladeshi man in UAE lashed 100 times for sex with Filipina maid - Nov 25, 2010
- Islamic Sharia law zones set up across Britain - Jul 28, 2011
- Indonesian woman 'whipped in public over extramarital affairs' - Apr 10, 2011
- Muslim kids learning to cut off hands of thieves - Feb 10, 2011
- Indonesian woman caned in front of mob for affair - Apr 10, 2011
- Rape not possible in marriage: Muslim cleric - Oct 14, 2010
- Radical UK Muslims' secret conference scrapped following cops' intervention - Nov 29, 2010
- Four arrested after 14-year-old girl 'lashed to death' in Bangladesh - Feb 03, 2011
- Brit Muslim kids learning to cut off hands of thieves - Feb 10, 2011
- Egypt presidential hopeful wants Sharia law-based constitution - May 14, 2012
- 6-18yr Brit Muslim pupils being taught Sharia law lessons to chop off thieves' hands - Nov 22, 2010
- Tajikistan to release BBC reporter - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: amputation, british democracy, british leaders, chief justices, east london mosque, hardline, islamic group, islamic style, lashings, legal principles, lord chief justice, lord phillips, philip davies, regents park mosque, religious values, strong reaction, tahrir, tory mp, womens groups, zahra