Haqqani seeks video testimony in Memo caseMarch 25th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 25 (IANS) Citing security reasons, Pakistan’s former envoy to the US Husain Haqqani has sought the Supreme Court’s permission for recording his testimony to the Memo commission via video link.
Challenging the Pakistan Supreme Court’s rejection of his earlier request for recording his testimony via video link, Haqqani Saturday made a fresh request seeking similar facilities as those provided to Mansoor Ijaz, the main character in the memo controversy, the Dawn reported Sunday.
The Pakistani Supreme Court-appointed Memo Commission is probing Pakistani American businessman Ijaz’s claim to have last year delivered a secret memo to then US joint chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen at the behest of Haqqani and the Pakistani government.
The memo said that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari feared a coup after Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed last May by US commandos. The existence of the memo triggered a scandal and cost Haqqani his job.
Ijaz was accommodated by the Memo Commission on the plea of physical security. Haqqani in his application has claimed that the risk to his life has also gone up manifold.
On Jan 30, the Supreme Court had lifted a Dec 1, 2011, ban by allowing Haqqani to leave the country to meet his family in the US. However, the permission was granted after he undertook to return to Pakistan any time on four days’ notice to join the proceedings, if and when required to do so by the commission.
Haqqani alleged that Ijaz had made false, malicious and dangerous aspersions against him, adding that such aspersions had put his life at serious risk.
- Pakistan commission records Ijaz testimony - Feb 22, 2012
- Ijaz sticks to his coup claim in testimony from London (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Memogate: Ijaz submits details of communications with Haqqani - Feb 24, 2012
- Memo case: SC to hear Haqqani's plea Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- Zardari instucted Haqqani on memo: Ijaz - Feb 23, 2012
- Pakistan's Memo Commission gets six-week extension - Mar 29, 2012
- Haqqani did write memo to US, says probe panel - Jun 12, 2012
- BlackBerry phones of Haqqani, Ijaz to be tested - May 10, 2012
- Pakistani official to meet Ijaz in London - Feb 19, 2012
- Haqqani indeed wrote secret memo to US: Probe panel (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Haqqani to challenge probe panel report - Jun 12, 2012
- Provide security to Mansoor Ijaz: Pakistan judicial panel - Jan 24, 2012
- 'Haqqani to survive punishment even if link with memo proved' - Jan 09, 2012
- Ijaz to appear before memo commission Jan 16 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Pakistan commission orders visa, security for Ijaz (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: admiral mike mullen, american businessman, aspersions, behest, commandos, husain haqqani, joint chiefs chairman, march 25, osama bin laden, pakistan supreme court, pakistani government, physical security, plea, qaeda leader, rejection, secret memo, security reasons, video link, video testimony, zardari