Hafiz Saeed rubbishes Indo-Pak cricket diplomacyApril 12th, 2011 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, April 12(ANI): Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed has criticised the efforts made by India and Pakistan to resume bilateral diplomatic ties, saying he would accept nothing less than a withdrawal of Indian troops from Kashmir.
“We don’t believe in cricket diplomacy or any other backdoor channel that the government adopts with India,” The Express Tribune quoted Saeed, as saying in a fiery speech at the National Press Club in Islamabad, where scores of JuD activists had gathered to hold a memorial for slain Kashmiri leader Maulana Shaukat Shah.
Saeed, alleged to be the 2008 Mumbai terror attack mastermind, asked Pakistani parliamentarians to adopt a clear policy on Kashmir and become the voice of millions of Pakistanis and Kashmiris in the movement.
“Mujahideen (freedom fighters) are determined to continue their struggle till the logical end of the Kashmir movement,” he said.
Saeed also dispelled the impression that the Kashmir freedom movement had lost its momentum, but admitted that it had slowed down to an extent since 9/11.
He said the successive governments of Pakistan had bowed to pressure from India and the international community on the Kashmir issue.
“But I want to make one thing clear. If Russian forces had to leave Afghanistan, and now the Americans are looking for a safe exit, then Indian forces will have to leave soon,” he stated.
The JuD chief, however, chose not to reply to a question regarding assistance from Pakistan’s armed forces to the Kashmir movement. (ANI)
- 'No exclusive US bounty for Hafiz Saeed' - Apr 29, 2012
- Hafiz Saeed challenges India to prove his involvement in 26/11 - Apr 25, 2011
- India cannot prove JuD's link with 26/11 attack: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 26, 2011
- "We have every right to use Kashmir door to teach India a lesson": Hafiz Saeed - Mar 25, 2011
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistani group slams US reward for Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- India, Israel behind US court summons against ISI chiefs, JuD leaders, claims Makki - Jan 19, 2011
- Pakistan unlikely to defend Hafiz Saeed in 26/11 US lawsuit - Jan 14, 2011
- India hands over fresh dossier to Pakistan against Jud Chief Saeed - Mar 03, 2010
- Pakistani-British MP offers reward for Obama's capture - Apr 16, 2012
- Saeed challenges India to prove his involvement in 26/11, says no 'restrictions' on him - Jul 07, 2010
- Truth has prevailed, says JuD as Saeed walks free - May 26, 2010
- Hafiz Saeed accuses India of imposing war on Pak by building dams - Mar 08, 2010
- Eighth Indian dossier on Saeed's 26/11 role reaches Pak Interior Minister - Mar 06, 2010
- Qureshi"s comment on Pillai is only going to exasperate sentiments: Gul - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: club in islamabad, diplomacy, diplomatic ties, fiery speech, freedom fighters, freedom movement, hafiz muhammad saeed, india and pakistan, indian troops, indo pak cricket, jamaat, jud, kashmir, kashmir issue, kashmiris, mastermind, pakistanis, parliamentarians, russian forces, terror attack