Gunmen execute 10 road workers in southwest PakistanSeptember 15th, 2012 - 3:54 am ICT by BNO News
QUETTA, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) — A group of gunmen attacked workers along a road in southwestern Pakistan on Thursday before executing ten of them, police said on Friday. A previously unknown militant group, the United Baloch Army, claimed responsibility for the attack.
The incident occurred at around 11 a.m. local time on Thursday when a group of men on motorcycles arrived at a road construction site in the town of Dasht, located in the Mastung area of Balochistan province and about 25 kilometers (15 miles) south of Quetta, the provincial capital.
The Pakistan Today newspaper said two armed motorcyclists had approached the road workers and told them to hand over their cash and mobile phones. The workers followed the instructions, believing it was a robbery, but were then told to line up at the scene before being executed.
Police confirmed ten road workers were killed while four others were injured, including a young boy.
A previously unknown militant group, calling themselves the United Baloch Army, claimed responsibility for the killings in a telephone call to Pakistani newspapers. They also claimed responsibility for a bicycle bomb attack in Quetta on Wednesday, killing a man and injuring three other people.
The province of Balochistan, which is known for its oil and gas resources, has been plagued with sectarian violence and attacks by the Pakistani Taliban and other insurgent groups which are active in the region.
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- Two dead in Pakistan stadium blast (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- 29 Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2011
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Pakistan-Iran border closed after Shia massacre - Sep 22, 2011
- 14 Pakistani troopers killed in bomb attack - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Pak govt must provide immediate justice for Baloch atrocities': Amnesty International - Oct 27, 2010
- Two killed carrying policemen's salaries in Balochistan - Aug 16, 2012
- Four Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan gun attack (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Three dead in Pakistan train attack - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: baloch, bno, bomb attack, construction site, dasht, gas resources, gunmen, killings, militant group, motorcyclists, oil and gas, other insurgent groups, pakistan today, pakistani newspapers, provincial capital, quetta pakistan, road construction, sectarian violence, southwestern pakistan, telephone call