Gujjars block roads, railway in NCRMay 29th, 2008 - 11:41 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 29 (ANI): Gujjars blocked road and rail traffic in the capital and adjoining areas today as part of their ‘NCR rasta roko’ agitation.
The NCR agitation, called by All India Gujjar Mahasabha, is in support of the community’s demand for Scheduled Tribe status in Rajasthan.
A protest march was held at Mayur Vihar in East Delhi this morning while protestors blocked traffic on Mehrauli-Gurgaon road, Noida Express Highway and NH-24 besides stopping a passenger train in Loni area of adjoining Ghaziabad.
Railways cancelled ten trains, including Nizamuddin-Kochi, Maharashtra Sampark Kranti, Nizamuddin-Udaipur and Dehradun-Bandra Express.
Over 35,000 police personnel, including those from the central paramilitary forces, have been deployed in NCR to avoid any kind of untoward incident.
Security arrangements have been mounted in the NCR including Rewari, Narnaul, Gurgaon, Sonipat, Panipat and Faridabad.
Large contingents of police are keeping a vigil across the Capital, especially in Mehrauli, Ghazipur, Patparganj, Badarpur, Khanpur, Ayanagar, Chilla village and Rampur.
The Union Home Ministry had put the NCR on high alert two days ago following the agitation call and issued advisories to the Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh Governments asking them to take all measures for maintaining peace.
Meanwhile, the situation in the 15 Gujjar agitation affected districts of Rajasthan continues to be tense. The State Government has already invoked National Security Act (NSA) in affected districts.
The alert went out on Tuesday as Gujjars continued their rampage in Rajasthan and other areas, ripping out rail signalling systems, blocking arterial highways and clashing with police. (ANI)
- Delhi heaves a sigh of relief after day-long Gujjar protests - May 29, 2008
- Gujjars demonstrate in Delhi, National Capital Region - May 29, 2008
- Gujjar agitation enters 9th day today - Dec 28, 2010
- Gujjars to hold mahapanchayat today, threaten protests in Delhi - Dec 29, 2010
- Night closure of Mehrauli-Gurgaon road for Metro work - May 28, 2009
- Gujjar protestors block Mehrauli-Gurgaon road - May 28, 2008
- Reservation row: Rajasthan Govt. continuing talks with Gujjars, says Joshi - Dec 28, 2010
- Reservation issue: 'Protest will spread in the whole country', says Gujjar leader - Dec 27, 2010
- RPI workers demand Mumbai mill land for Ambedkar memorial - Jun 12, 2012
- BJP MP arrested for road blockade in Maharashtra - Nov 28, 2011
- Apex court slams rail, road blockades (Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
- BJP to stop trains in eight states Tuesday - Apr 02, 2012
- Gujjars intensify stir, put forward new demands to Rajasthan Government - Dec 25, 2010
- BJP activists stop trains in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 03, 2012
- Dense fog envelops Delhi, flights, trains disrupted again - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: arterial highways, bandra, block roads, dehradun, east delhi, ghazipur, gujjar, kranti, narnaul, national security act, ncr new, paramilitary forces, passenger train, protest march, rail traffic, rasta roko, security arrangements, signalling systems, union home ministry, untoward incident