Governor Taseer’s assassin produced before terrorism courtJanuary 6th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 6 (IANS) Mumtaz Qadri, the assassin of Punjab governor Salman Taseer, was Thursday presented before Pakistan’s Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) under tight security in nearby Rawalpindi.A magistrate Wednesday had remanded Qadri to one-day police custody with the instruction to produce him in an anti-terrorism court the next day.
He was presented before the magistrate as three judges of the ATC were on leave Wednesday, Geo TV reported.
“Police have charged Qadri with murder, terrorism and violence,” Qadri’s lawyer Farooq Sulehria said. Hundreds of people were present outside the court.
On Wednesday, police registered a case in connection with the killing of the Punjab governor. The complaint was registered in Kohsar police station with Taseer’s son Shehryar Taseer as the complainant.
Governor Taseer, a vocal critic of Islamist militancy in Pakistan, was shot dead in a market in Islamabad Tuesday by Qadri, one of Taseer’s guards who said he killed him for opposing the country’s blasphemy law which he said was anti-Islamic.
Quadri gave himself up to the authorities after gunning down the politician.
Taseer’s body was Wednesday laid to rest with national honours at the Cavalry Ground in Lahore.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Interior Minister Rehman Malik, among others, attended the funeral.
- Salman Taseer's killer remanded to police custody for a day - Jan 06, 2011
- Police complaint filed in Taseer killing case - Jan 05, 2011
- Pak ATC shocked over 'absence of prosecution lawyer' in Taseer murder case - Jan 25, 2011
- Continued absence of public prosecutor may see Salman Taseer assassin walk free - Feb 05, 2011
- Salman Taseer's killer remanded to five-day police custody - Jan 07, 2011
- Pak Court dismisses plea seeking quashing of FIR, ATC trial against Taseer's assassin - Jan 21, 2011
- Pak Anti-Terrorism Court indicts Qadri in Salman Taseer murder case - Feb 14, 2011
- Taseer assassination case to be heard in-camera to prevent earlier media fiasco - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistani imam, son jailed on blasphemy charges - Jan 12, 2011
- Salman Taseer's assassin gets death sentence - Oct 01, 2011
- Pak court directs jail authorities to give Taseer's assassin all amenities as per Prisons Act - Feb 11, 2011
- Pak court defers Salman Taseer assassin's indictment till February 4 - Feb 02, 2011
- Pak Punjab Governor's assassin says he acted alone - Jan 11, 2011
- Whole nation will besiege Pak Parliament if Taseer's assassin given death sentence: ST - Jan 10, 2011
- Three-day mourning in Pakistan for Punjab governor - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: atc, blasphemy law, complainant, farooq, geo tv, gilani, interior minister, magistrate, mehmood, militancy, mumtaz, police custody, punjab, quadri, qureshi, rawalpindi, rehman malik, salman taseer, tight security, vocal critic