Governor among 18 killed in Afghanistan (Lead)July 29th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 29 (IANS) An Afghan governor and at least 17 Taliban militants were killed in violence, authorities said Sunday.
Mohammad Ismael Wafa, the governor of Chak district, some 30 from Kabul, was on his way to office when Taliban militants fired at his vehicle Sunday, Xinhua reported.
Seventeen militants were killed by Afghan police, army and NATO-led forces in different Afghan provinces in the past 24 hours till Sunday noon.
A huge quantity of weapons, including rocket propelled grenades, machine guns and pistols, were seized. Eighteen militants were arrested, the interior ministry said.
- Afghan governor shot dead - Jul 29, 2012
- 17 Afghan militants captured - Feb 02, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 20, 2011
- 42 Taliban killed, 37 held in Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- 39 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 13, 2010
- 48 killed in Kabul terror siege (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 31 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 01, 2010
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Militants kill five civilians in Afghanistan - Nov 25, 2010
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 06, 2011
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, army, authorities, interior ministry, ismael, kabul, machine guns, militants, mohammad, nato, pistols, rocket propelled grenades, sunday noon, taliban, violence, wafa, weapons, xinhua