Gordon Brown may give people electric cars for freeJuly 21st, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 21 (ANI): British Prime Minister Gordon Brown is studying a new scheme to encourage people to use environmentally friendly vehicles rather than those propelled by petrol or diesel giving away electric cars for free or at a heavily subsidised price.
Senior Downing Street sources say that Israeli businessman Shai Agassi, 38, has proposed the plan to the PM.
If cleared, the scheme would require people to sign an agreement with a company to run the hybrid cars, and buy electricity to charge their batteries.
“Electric cars are going to be the future and we are looking at ways of incentivising people to use them, the Mirror quoted Downing Street as saying.
“By 2020 most cars sold in Britain should be electric,” the report added.
The newspaper also says that Brown will meet manufacturers this week to try to persuade them to mass-produce electric cars.
The Prime Minister will also outline his plans to accelerate the use of electric cars at the Motor Show this week. (ANI)
- Diesel cars beat hybrids in fuel efficiency - May 06, 2011
- Fleeced by autos? Electric cars could be the way out - Aug 12, 2010
- Government approves plan to promote hybrid vehicles - Aug 29, 2012
- Air hybrid vehicles could halve fuel consumption in future - Feb 08, 2011
- EU to ban 'Conventionally fuelled' cars from cities by 2050 - Mar 29, 2011
- Battery research will give electric cars the same range as petrol ones - Apr 07, 2011
- Indians unwilling to pay premium for electric cars - Aug 18, 2011
- Electric cars cause more pollution than petrol ones: Study - Feb 14, 2012
- Diesel cars guzzling 40 percent of segment's fuel: CSE - Jan 25, 2012
- GM expects more sales with Beat's diesel version - Jun 23, 2011
- Green hybrid supercar zooms with jet turbine - Sep 30, 2010
- Energy from car brakes could cut fuel consumption - Feb 08, 2011
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked - Mar 16, 2012
- India approves Rs.200 crore for research on climate change - Mar 16, 2012
- China to boost electric car industry - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: agassi, batteries, british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, diesel, downing street, electric cars, electricity, free london, gordon brown, hybrid cars, israeli businessman, mirror, petrol, prime minister gordon brown