Give Osama bounty to 9/11 victims, say lawmakersMay 10th, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS/EFE) Two Democratic lawmakers representing New York City say the $50 million reward offered for Osama bin Laden, who was killed by US commandos in Pakistan, should go to groups that aid people hurt or killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
The proposal would apply only if US authorities conclude that no one is entitled to the reward, Reps. Anthony Weiner and Jerrold Nadler said.
“If the bounty isn’t paid, Osama bin Laden’s victims should get it,” Weiner said.
“I can think of no better recipient than those organisations which have committed themselves to helping first responders, their families and survivors whose lives have been forever affected by bin Laden’s actions,” he said.
The State Department initially offered up to $25 million for information leading to the capture of the Al Qaeda leader, but Congress subsequently authorized the payment of as much as twice that amount.
Given the large number of government agencies and individuals whose contributions helped enable the successful May 2 raid Osama’s compound in Pakistan, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will probably decide against designating a recipient, State Department sources told EFE.
Some of those who provided leads on Osama’s whereabouts are terror suspects in US custody, the sources pointed out.
“I urge the State Department to distribute the reward money to established organizations and institutions which provide services and programs to the 9/11 community,” Nadler said.
The two New York lawmakers said they will await the State Department’s determination on the reward before deciding if and when to submit a bill in Congress.
Families of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the attacks on New York and Washington have already shared roughly $2.1 billion in government compensation, while survivors received a total of $8.6 billion.
- Pakistan given $30 bn aid by US since 1948 - Jun 11, 2011
- Spaniard to sue FBI for using his image in Osama poster - Oct 12, 2011
- Memo documents Obama's order to get Osama - Apr 27, 2012
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- Osama bin Laden: billionaire heir who founded a terror empire (Profile) - May 02, 2011
- 'Bin Laden hunter' Gary Faulkner wants piece of 27 million dollar reward - May 04, 2011
- Mexican drug lord will meet Osama's fate: US - Feb 28, 2012
- Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan: Obama (Third Lead) - May 02, 2011
- FBI withdraws 25 million dollars bounty on Osama - May 03, 2011
- Osama bin Laden killed, Pakistan kept in dark (Roundup) - May 02, 2011
- Osama sought to kill Obama: Report (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistan either incompetent or involved: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- Terror on celluloid: Documentaries, movies tracking Osama - May 02, 2011
- Anna Bjornsdottir tipped FBI leading to the arrest to James 'Whitney' Bulger - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, 50 million, 9 11 terrorist attacks, al qaeda, anthony weiner, authorities, commandos, democratic lawmakers, government agencies, government compensation, hillary clinton, jerrold nadler, organisations, osama bin laden, qaeda leader, recipient state, reward money, secretary of state, state department, survivors