Gilani’s son to contest for father’s seatJune 26th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 26 (IANS) Abdul Qadir Gilani, son of former Pakistani prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Tuesday submitted his nomination papers to contest a by-poll for the National Assembly seat vacated by his father.
Gilani vacated the Multan National Assembly seat in Punjab province after the Supreme Court disqualified him as prime minister.
Tuesday was the last date of filing nomination papers. Ten candidates are in the fray, The Nation reported. The election will be held July 19.
The apex court last Tuesday disqualified Gilani as prime minister and National Assembly member because its April 26 verdict held him in contempt of court for refusing to write to Swiss authorities to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Gilani had pleaded to the apex court that Zardari enjoyed immunity under the constitution until he held the president’s post.
- By-poll for Gilani's seat in July - Jun 22, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Ordinance to protect Gilani's actions challenged - Jun 26, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Apex court issues show-cause notice to Pakistani PM - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistani PM faces SC, seeks time to write Swiss letter (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Pakistani PM urged to implement apex court's NRO verdict - Jun 27, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, asif ali zardari, assembly member, assembly seat, constitution, contempt of court, gilani, immunity, last date, last tuesday, national assembly, nomination papers, pakistani prime minister, poll, raza, supreme court, swiss authorities