Gilanis game plan to kill two birds with one stoneMarch 12th, 2009 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar.12 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani is trying very hard to save his chair and to put an end to the ongoing political turmoil in the country to stem another bout of military rule.
Gilani, reportedly, is working on a reconciliation strategy with the PML-N that would include overturning the verdict of the Sharif brothers disqualification from contesting elections and reinstating Shabaz Sharif as chief minister of Punjab.
It could also include, most significantly, re-establishing the judiciary and Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry to the November 2007 position.
According to The News, the military, has backed Gilani for the reconciliation and ensure a strong platform for democratic institutions and leadership.
Gilani is hopeful that President Zardari and the Pakistan Peoples Party would support him given the fact that he is working for the survival of democracy in the country.
According to sources, Gilani is confident of not being thrown away from his chair as he feels that opposition members of the parliament would fall into his kitty in case of a dissection among his own party men. (ANI)
- PPP wants Nawaz to apologise for keeping Zardari in jail over 'fake cases' - Nov 23, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan attorney general turns abusive in Supreme Court - Jun 15, 2012
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Musharraf vows to return to Pak before mid-term elections - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Embattled' Zardari likely to hold on for some time to come: NYT - Jan 21, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Missing in morning back home in evening not missing person: Shahbaz on Zardari - Mar 16, 2009
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Nawaz terms PML-Q supporters of dictators, rules out alliance - Feb 22, 2011
- Gilani says Govt. not planning to curtail Chaudhrys powers - Mar 18, 2009
- Not aware of chief justice's son's case: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Pak Punjab CM contacted Gilani to ease political tensions - Mar 07, 2011
- 'Sworn enemies' Musharraf, Sharif and Zardari are 'famous Facebook friends'! - Mar 19, 2011
- PML-N hints at legal action against MQM members for "bad-mouthing" its leadership - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: chief justice iftikhar, chief minister of punjab, democratic institutions, dissection, game plan, gilani, judiciary, members of the parliament, military rule, opposition members, pakistan peoples party, party men, pml n, political turmoil, raza, reconciliation, sharif, two birds, yousuf, zardari