Gilani’s appearance great day for Pakistan: JudgeJanuary 19th, 2012 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 19 (IANS) This was a great day in the history of Pakistan as the prime minister had appeared before the Supreme Court bench that issued a contempt of court notice to him, an apex court judge said Thursday.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Thursday morning appeared before the Supreme Court and said he had spent six years in prison and had never been reluctant to appear before the court that shows that he always respected the court.
After the prime minister completed his submission, Justice Asif Saeed Khosa said today was a great day in the history of the country as the chief executive was appearing before the bench, reported Geo News.
The apex court had earlier warned the government of action if its ruling on the amnesty law, which granted immunity to politicians and bureaucrats in corruption cases, was not implemented by Jan 10, 2012.
The court had also sought reopening of cases closed under the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO). It had ordered the government to write a letter to the Swiss authorities to reopen cases against the president and set a seven-day deadline that ended Jan 16.
- Pakistan's Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
- Pakistan apex court raps government over NRO case - Jan 10, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Apex court issues show-cause notice to Pakistani PM - Aug 08, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules Pakistan court - Feb 02, 2012
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistani PM faces SC, seeks time to write Swiss letter (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan SC orders PM to appear again Sep 18 (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Blow to Zardari as letter closing graft cases to be revoked (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Attorney general gets court order in Zardari case - Mar 10, 2012
- Setback for Zardari: Letter closing graft cases to be withdrawn (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: amnesty law, apex, apex court, asif, bureaucrats, contempt of court, corruption cases, court judge, geo news, gilani, history of pakistan, islamabad, jan 19, khosa, national reconciliation, saeed, supreme court bench, swiss authorities, thursday morning, yousuf