Gilani verdict to be appealed: MinisterApril 26th, 2012 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 26 (IANS) A petition would be filed in the Supreme Court for a review of its verdict against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, whom the apex court convicted Thursday for contempt of court, said a minister.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan said that the petition would be filed in the apex court for a review of the verdict, reported Geo News.
She added that the course of action would be decided once the detailed verdict is received.
Gilani was convicted Thursday morning for contempt by the Supreme Court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities to reopen a corruption case against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Gohar Khan, an assistant to Gilani’s counsel Aitzaz Ahsan, too said that a review petition would be filed.
After the ruling, Awan said the verdict will hurt democracy in Pakistan.
“The country cannot afford any adventurism. PPP (Pakistan Peoples Party) has always been victimised,” she was quoted as saying.
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Verdict inappropriate, says Gilani - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan court to hear Gilani contempt appeal - May 01, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- PM Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Gilani pays lawyer for service - May 01, 2012
- PPP accepts Gilani's disqualification verdict - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistani PM files appeal in contempt of court - Feb 08, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- No need for Gilani to quit, says Pakistani cabinet - Apr 26, 2012
- Can't write letter against Zardari: Gilani's counsel to court - Mar 21, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: aitzaz ahsan, apex, apex court, ashiq, asif ali zardari, awan, contempt of court, corruption case, democracy in pakistan, geo news, gohar khan, islamabad, pakistan peoples party, petition, prime minister, raza, supreme court, swiss authorities, thursday morning, yousuf