Gilani urges Afghan insurgents to join peace talksFebruary 25th, 2012 - 3:27 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 25 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has appealed to Afghan insurgent groups to join the peace talks in that country.
“It is now time to turn a new leaf and open a new chapter in the history of Afghanistan,” Gilani said in a statement Friday.
“It is time to combine the strength of the Afghan people in a true spirit of our noble religion — Islam — to build peace and bring prosperity to Afghanistan,” he said.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has appealed to Pakistan to support the peace process in Afghanistan. “This is an important statement and Pakistan is duty bound to respond positively to the appeal.
“I would like to appeal to the Taliban leadership as well as all other Afghan groups, including Hizb-e-Islami, to participate in an intra-Afghan process for national reconciliation and peace,” Xinhua quoted Gilani as saying.
“Pakistan is prepared to do whatever it can for its success,” he added.
- Gilani, Karzai discuss regional security - Jun 11, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistan supports Afghan-led reconciliation - Jun 28, 2011
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Gilani to visit Afghanistan - Apr 05, 2012
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistan, Saudi Arabia to enhance cooperation - Aug 10, 2011
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to set up joint commission to promote reconciliation process - Apr 17, 2011
- Pak rejects 'Gilani urges Karzai to dump US, ally with Islamabad' report as "baseless" - Apr 28, 2011
- Stability in Afghanistan significant for Pakistan: Gilani - Sep 17, 2010
- Karzai reaches Pakistan for two-day visit - Jun 10, 2011
- Have a roadmap for Afghanistan: Gilani - Jul 21, 2011
- 'Afghan solution minus Pakistan won't be productive' - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, hamid karzai, history of afghanistan, hizb, insurgent groups, insurgents, national reconciliation, new chapter, new leaf, pakistani prime minister, peace process, peace talks, president hamid karzai, raza, religion islam, taliban leadership, true spirit, xinhua, yousuf