Gilani, Manmohan meet teams before match beginsMarch 30th, 2011 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali, March 30 (IANS) The much anticipated India-Pakistan World Cup semifinal got off to a rousing start Wednesday with the prime ministers of both countries, India’s Manmohan Singh and Pakistan’s Yousuf Raza Gilani, meeting the players of both the teams.
The Pakistani national anthem was played first and then the Indian “Jana Gana Mana” in the packed stadium. As the strains of the Indian anthem died down, the stadium erupted in a roar and the two prime minister accompanied by Sharad Pawar, president of the International Cricket Council, walked into the field.
Pawar introduced Pakistani captain Shahid Afridi to Manmohan Singh, who walked past the Pakistani team with Gilani, both exchanging a few words with the cricketers.
Then, Gilani walked up to Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, met him and the other members of the squad, with Manmohan Singh close behind.
Others watching the high-octane match are Congress president Sonia Gandhi, her son Rahul Gandhi as well a host of industrialists, politicians and film stars, including Aamir Khan.
- Manmohan, Gilani meet over dinner - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani, Manmohan talk peace amid cricket -- to heal wounds - Mar 31, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Intro Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
- Previous India-Pakistan encounters in cricket-diplomacy - Mar 26, 2011
- Manmohan, Zardari, Gilani to watch cricket -- for peace (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Night Intro) - Mar 26, 2011
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia in Chandigarh for match (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- WC semi-final: Nehra comes in for Ashwin - Mar 30, 2011
- Gilani to stay at Chandigarh hotel hosting both teams (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- India unites to celebrate victory over Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- PM to stay at Punjab Raj Bhawan, Gilani at the Taj - Mar 28, 2011
- Pakistan PM Gilani in India for World Cup semifinal (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- It's raining VVIPs, celebrities at Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- (VM) Electrifying atmosphere at Wankehde - Apr 02, 2011
- At half-way stage, Tendulkar half ton takes India to 141 for four - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, afridi, congress president sonia gandhi, cricketers, dhoni, film stars, india pakistan, indian anthem, indian skipper, industrialists, international cricket council, jana gana mana, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohali, pakistani national anthem, prime ministers, sharad pawar, world cup semifinal, yousuf