Gilani hurt his own dignity: SharifJune 20th, 2012 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
“No matter who becomes the new prime minister, he will have to write the letter (to the Swiss authorities to open graft cases against Zardari),” the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief told Geo News.
Sharif described the present government as a “perfect recipe for the country’s disaster” if it continued to remain in power, and said the government should hold general elections immediately.
“What is a single good thing that the present government has done so far to justify its further being in power?” Sharif asked.
The Supreme Court Tuesday ruled that Gilani stood disqualified as prime minister as well as MP since the apex court’s April 26 verdict holding him in contempt of court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities.
A three-member bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry heard a set of constitutional petitions challenging National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza’s ruling over Gilani’s qualification as prime minister.
A seven-member bench of the apex court had convicted Gilani April 26 of contempt of court. The court, however, sentenced him only “until the rising of the court”, or till the time the judges left the court chamber. That was only for about 30 seconds after the verdict was handed down.
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan not to contest Gilani contempt verdict - May 26, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- PPP accepts Gilani's disqualification verdict - Jun 19, 2012
- Convicted Gilani must quit, says opposition - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistani PM urged to implement apex court's NRO verdict - Jun 27, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, assembly speaker, chief justice iftikhar, contempt of court, dignity, general elections, geo news, iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, justice iftikhar mohammad chaudhry, mohammad, national assembly, new prime minister, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, perfect recipe, petitions, pml n, present government, swiss authorities