Gilani congratulates Manmohan on India’s World Cup winApril 3rd, 2011 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 3 (IANS) Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has congratulated Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on India winning the cricket World Cup final and expressed hope that the sporting link between their two countries will be fully restored in the near future.
India thrashed Sri Lanka by six wickets to win the World Cup final that was held in Mumbai Saturday.
India had moved into the final after beating Pakistan by 29 runs at Mohali - a match watched by both Gilani and Manmohan. The Mohali meeting between the two leaders was dubbed as cricket diplomacy.
Gilani commended the excellent performance of the Indian team throughout the tournament as well as in the final match, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
He said the World Cup has been successful in bringing the cricketing fraternity even closer and making this sport more popular around the world.
The prime minister noted that the March 30 India-Pakistan match, which generated exceptionally high excitement and interest among the people of both the countries, also provided an opportunity to their leadership to advance the peace process and build bridges of peace, trust and confidence.
He expressed hope that the sporting link between India and Pakistan will be fully restored in the near future and the sportsmen of both sides will continue to play their important role for peace, friendship and amity between the two countries.
- Gilani congratulates Manmohan on India's World Cup victory - Apr 03, 2011
- Manmohan Singh grateful to Gilani for accepting invite - Mar 31, 2011
- Mohali match improved Pakistan-Indian ties: Gilani - Apr 12, 2011
- India-Pakistan talks between overs could help ease tensions: Daily - Mar 27, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for India-Pakistan match (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Intro Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
- Manmohan, Zardari, Gilani to watch cricket -- for peace (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Night Intro) - Mar 26, 2011
- Congress welcomes informal Mohali India-Pakistan talks - Mar 31, 2011
- Gilani accepts Dr Singh's invitation to watch Indo-Pak WC match in Mohali - Mar 27, 2011
- Gilani to brief Pak cabinet ahead of India visit to watch Indo-Pak World Cup semi-final - Mar 28, 2011
- Indo-Pak World Cup semifinal helped break the ice between both nations: Gilani - Apr 12, 2011
- India-Pakistan match: Gilani accepts Manmohan's invite - Mar 27, 2011
- PHF to discuss Indo-Pak hockey series revival with Malik today - Apr 19, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to watch Mohali match, invites Pak President, PM to join - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: amity, bridges, cricket world cup, diplomacy, final match, fraternity, india and pakistan, india pakistan match, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, peace friendship, peace process, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, raza, sportsmen, wickets, yousuf