Geo News forced to go off air by Musharraf regimeNovember 17th, 2007 - 1:50 pm ICT by admin
Karachi/Islamabad, Nov 17 (ANI): In its attempt to shut all opposing voices against the Musharraf regime, the Pakistan Government banned the broadcast of Geo News at 1:00 a.m.
According to sources, President General Pervez Musharraf himself intervened to stop all Geo News transmissions from Dubai.
Almost all political parties and civil societies have condemned the bar on the news channel.
Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) leader Nawaz Sharif told Shahid Masood on telephone from London that it was a tragic moment in Pakistan’s history, as the Musharraf regime is bent upon destroying every symbol of free speech and democracy in the country, The News reported.
Pakistan Peoples Party vice chairman Makhdoon Amin Faheem said that it would be a tragedy for the country and democracy if Geo went off the air.
Lt. General Talat Masood, former Chief Justice Saeeduzzaman Siddiqi and many others representing the civil society, who used to regularly appear in Geo talk shows, expressed shock and disgust at the decision to shut down Geo News.
In Pakistan, all Geo channels were blocked by the military regime after the imposition of the emergency but on Friday two main channels, Dawn News and AAJ were back on air.
The Pakistan Government had initially asked the Geo administration to stop the most popular programmes of popular TV hosts Shahid Masood, Hamid Mir and Kamran Khan without offering any tangible reason why they should be stopped, sources revealed.
They further said that Geo was first forbidden in Pakistan through cable operators and then pressure was mounted through the authorities concerned of the country from where it was being aired. (ANI)
- Petition filed in Pak Supreme Court over TV channels blocking row - Aug 12, 2010
- Shoes thrown at Zardari: Pakistani media battles government - Aug 12, 2010
- Gilani sacks defence secretary, takes on army (Intro Night Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif "in bed with anti-Pakistan elements": Musharraf - Feb 08, 2011
- No reunion, but union possible in subcontinent: Pakistani writer (With image) - Mar 29, 2012
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Pakistan's ex-brigadier ready to testify against Musharraf - Oct 09, 2010
- Gilani sacks Defence Secretary, takes on army (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif returns home after Turkey, London visit - Nov 07, 2011
- Musharraf smoked cigars and had coffee with Zardari even after Benazir's assassination - Feb 17, 2011
- Pakistan fighting 'war on terrorism' for survival: Shahbaz Sharif - Dec 31, 2010
- Sharif refused to quit politics in spite of 'death threats from dictator': Pervaiz Rasheed - Nov 21, 2010
- Gilani urges Pak team to show "best of sportsmanship and dedication to contest" - Mar 29, 2011
- A.Q.Khan's security demands curbs on his movements - Jun 08, 2011
- PML-N lashes out at Zardari-led govt over ever-increasing corruption, inflation - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: civil societies, dawn news, democracy, disgust, faheem, general pervez musharraf, geo news, kamran khan, lt general, military regime, musharraf regime, nawaz sharif, pakistan government, pakistan muslim league, pakistan peoples party, shahid masood, tangible reason, tragic moment, tv hosts