Gay men HIV cases shoot up in ShanghaiJune 21st, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 21 (ANI): Over the recent years, the incidence of HIV/AIDS cases involving men who have sex with men has increased fivefold in Shanghai, report medical experts.
Following the comments, which were made at a science forum in Beijing, Shanghai is gearing up to launch an intervention and education campaign to fight HIV transmission through unsafe sex, the Friday’s Shanghai Daily reported.
Back in 2005, the Shanghai Center for Disease Control and Prevention had started a study of surveying gay males to find out more about their sexual behavior and to discover their HIV/AIDS or syphilis infection rate, reports The China Daily.
The incidence of syphilis from 2005 to 2007 remained around 12 to 13 percent, while HIV/AIDS increased every year. The incidence rate was 1.5 percent in 2005, 4.1 percent in 2006 and 7.5 percent in 2007, according to the survey.
Data from 2008 is not yet available. According to the survey, more than 60 percent of the respondents had more than one male sexual partner.
“The increase in HIV/AIDS cases involving male-to-male sex is a challenge for almost all Asian countries,” said Kang Laiyi, an AIDS expert at the Shanghai Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
“Society is becoming more tolerant of gays and bisexuals, and intervention and education for this group should be intensified,” the expert added. (ANI)
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
- Legalizing same-sex marriage may help curb HIV, say experts - Nov 29, 2010
- 28,000 die of HIV/AIDS in China - Jan 22, 2012
- US AIDS cases stable at 50,000 per year - Aug 05, 2011
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- Pregnant women in China to be tested for HIV, syphilis and Hepatitis B - Mar 01, 2011
- Heterosexual HIV 'in China aggravated by unprotected sex, drugs' - Nov 09, 2010
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Homosexuality no disease, India must include MSM: UNAIDS - Jul 05, 2011
- 90pc of gay men in the Asia-Pacific region 'denied HIV care'- UN - May 19, 2010
- STIs reach record levels with young people especially at risk - Aug 25, 2010
- Gay men in Britain may now donate blood - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: aids cases, asian countries, bisexuals, center for disease control, center for disease control and prevention, china daily, disease control and prevention, education campaign, gay males, hiv aids, hiv cases, hiv transmission, incidence rate, medical experts, science forum, sex with men, sexual behavior, sexual partner, shanghai center, unsafe sex