Fuel price hike has come as a shock: Pakistani dailyDecember 2nd, 2011 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 2 (IANS) The hike in fuel prices has come as a shock for the people of Pakistan, a newspaper said Friday, adding that it was “hard to fathom the reasons given that they often appear to have no links with the situation in international markets”.
In the latest hike, Pakistan increased the price of diesel by Rs.4.67 to Rs.98.94 per litre and that of petrol by 48 paisa to Rs.87.89 per litre.
An editorial in the News International said: “It is becoming hard to keep track of how often petrol prices have gone up; it is also hard to fathom the reasons given that they often appear to have no links with the situation in international markets,” it said.
The editorial said that the diesel price rise “will push up the prices of almost all goods and create greater difficulties within households where already a desperate struggle is on to make ends meet, with children being pulled out of school or with cutbacks in healthcare needs”.
There are several other implications, it said.
“In Karachi we see buses that can be run only on diesel coming to a halt…This adds to the sense of chaos prevailing everywhere.”
“Explanations that have come from the government over the past months are weak and unsatisfactory. Lately there has been no attempt to give explanations at all. People are simply expected to live with the situation as best as they can. And those who cannot afford to do so anymore stand abandoned,” the editorial added.
- Pakistan may hike petrol price - Jan 28, 2012
- Pakistan may bring down petrol price - Oct 25, 2011
- Thackeray slams petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Petrol prices lowered by Rs.1.85 per litre - Nov 15, 2011
- Pakistan reduces petroleum prices - Jul 01, 2011
- No government role in petrol price hike: Pranab - Nov 05, 2011
- Petrol price hiked Rs.5 per litre; opposition, people fume (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Petrol pump dealers' commission raised, prices go up - Jul 01, 2011
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- No government role in petrol price hike, says Pranab - May 15, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012
- Would cut petrol prices if crude prices fall: IOC - May 24, 2012
Tags: buses, chaos, desperate struggle, diesel price, explanations, fuel price hike, fuel prices, households, international markets, islamabad, litre, news international, paisa, pakistan, petrol prices, shock