Fresh recruitment in Nepal Army against pact: Ian MartinJanuary 30th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Jan 30 (ANI): In the wake of deepening controversy over fresh recruitment in the Nepal Army (NA), former United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN) Chief Ian Martin has said that the NA cannot fill its vacant posts as per the agreement. Kantipur quoted Martin as saying that it would be against the agreement to make new recruitment in the Nepal Army.
He expressed displeasure over the fact that the Nepal Army continued with the recruitment drive instead of discussing the issue with the joint monitoring committee of the United Nations, the Nepal Army and the CPN-Maoist.
He further said that the Nepal’’s peace process is at a complicated juncture and the biggest challenges for Nepal are the integration of the Maoist combatants into the Nepal Army.
The relation between the Maoist government and the Nepal Army has been souring after the Maoist Defense Minister Ram Bahadru Thapa directed the latter to stop the recruitment process to fill around 2800 vacant posts in the Army. (ANI)
- Ian Martin says new army recruitments would be breach of peace accord - Dec 23, 2008
- Nepal Army asked to stop recruitment - Dec 27, 2008
- Army chief wants exit of UN mission in Nepal - Aug 21, 2010
- Nepal's Maoists welcome US' removal of terror tag - Sep 08, 2012
- Not training Nepali Maoists, says India; Rao to visit Kathmandu (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Nepal Army crosses swords with Maoists on UN monitors - Aug 21, 2010
- Nepal army faces charge of violating peace pact - Dec 23, 2008
- Nepal's battle with UN intensifies despite extension - Sep 16, 2010
- Nepal remains lost in poll labyrinth - Sep 26, 2010
- Nepal army, Maoist fighters begin fresh sabre-rattling - Aug 04, 2010
- Nepali Army recruitment within law - Dec 24, 2008
- Conflict between parties delaying Nepal's cabinet expansion: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
- UN Nepal mission rejects criticism over Maoist verification - May 20, 2009
- UNMIN's term extended by four months - May 13, 2010
- Nepal Maoists seek to recruit over 12,000 new fighters - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: army, challenges, combatants, controversy, cpn maoist, defense minister, displeasure, juncture, kathmandu, maoist, monitoring committee, nepal, pact, peace process, recruitment drive, united nations, unmin, vacant posts